Restoration of 8x10 Kodak 2-D

Old September 4th 04, 03:22 AM
DMLStar

Default Restoration of 8x10 Kodak 2-D

I am planing to restore a Kodak 2-D and have started the disassembly process. I
have run into a problem on the back frame box which needs serious work or
replacement. Are the brass arms that allow the back to tilt held on by
threaded short bolts or are they attached in a rivet like fashion? From causal
inspection it looks like a pin that was flanged to a washer using a center
punch.
Is there a proper way to remove the pin and later reattach it?

TIA
Dave

Old September 4th 04, 05:19 PM
Richard Knoppow

"DMLStar" wrote in message
I am planing to restore a Kodak 2-D and have started the

disassembly process. I
have run into a problem on the back frame box which needs

serious work or
replacement. Are the brass arms that allow the back to

tilt held on by
threaded short bolts or are they attached in a rivet like

fashion? From causal
inspection it looks like a pin that was flanged to a

washer using a center
punch.
Is there a proper way to remove the pin and later

reattach it?

TIA
Dave

Check John Craig for the military repair manual for the
2D. The army used a great many of them. Craig is at
http://www.craigcamera.com I just completed a major house
cleaning so I don't know where anything is, I will look for
my copy and seen if I can figure out the construction. Its
probably better to get your own copy.
I know Agfa/Ansco cameras pretty well. If the Kodak
cameras are similar in constructon they use rivets. I don't
know of a source of new rivets. It might be possible to use
an old rivet by drilling and threading it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old September 4th 04, 05:30 PM
jjs

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

[...]
I know Agfa/Ansco cameras pretty well. If the Kodak
cameras are similar in constructon they use rivets. I don't
know of a source of new rivets. It might be possible to use
an old rivet by drilling and threading it.

New rivets similar to those used in some hardware can be found at a good
leather craft store. Get the stout ones and shorten them by filing or
grinding the length down carefully.

Like Richard, I have just more old stuff in storage than I can use; tell you
what, I'll bring in all the wooden camera backs and get some snapshots.
Maybe there's something you can use. Later...

jjs

Old September 6th 04, 07:14 AM
peterf

Here's a link to an image of one I restored a number of years ago; I'll have
to think back about the pivots but I'm pretty certain that they were
threaded short bolts.

http://asbcustom.com/portfolio/other1/other4.htm

Peter

Old September 6th 04, 01:23 PM
jjs

"peterf" wrote in message
ink.net...
Here's a link to an image of one I restored a number of years ago; I'll
have
to think back about the pivots but I'm pretty certain that they were
threaded short bolts.

http://asbcustom.com/portfolio/other1/other4.htm

That is the very prettiest restoration/interpretation of the 2D I've seen.
Is the wood really stained black? Is it missing the rear rails?

FWIW, I have a #1 complete in EX condition, and a few backs for the same
series camera. I'm sitting on all this old stuff wondering why. Guess
I'll ebay it all. Hate ebay, but...