Boston

Old February 1st 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

Default Boston

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:51:44 -0800 (PST), otter
wrote:

On Jan 30, 10:20*pm, otter wrote:
I'm going to be in the Boston area the next 3 days for a business
trip. *I'll be tied up during the day for meetings, but I might be
able to slip away some night to take pictures. *Any suggestions on
good locations for night shots in the Boston area?

I wasted all my time today trying to take coworkers to Pizza Regina at
11 Thacher St, only I typed in 11 Thatcher St into my GPS. Well, you
can look it up where that took me. I kept thinking, there's GOT to be
a quicker way to get downtown from the airport. LOL.

What's the big deal? Boston is known for its cowpath streets and
"You can't get there from here" layout. The worst thing about
Boston's layout is that you can often see your destination, but you
can't find a street that goes there.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 1st 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: On Jan 30, 10:20*pm, otter wrote:
: I'm going to be in the Boston area the next 3 days for a business
: trip. *I'll be tied up during the day for meetings, but I might be
: able to slip away some night to take pictures. *Any suggestions on
: good locations for night shots in the Boston area?
:
: I wasted all my time today trying to take coworkers to Pizza Regina at
: 11 Thacher St, only I typed in 11 Thatcher St into my GPS. Well, you
: can look it up where that took me. I kept thinking, there's GOT to be
: a quicker way to get downtown from the airport. LOL.
:
: What's the big deal? Boston is known for its cowpath streets and
: "You can't get there from here" layout. The worst thing about
: Boston's layout is that you can often see your destination, but you
: can't find a street that goes there.

That's what the subways are for. When I was 12 years old, I could usually get
from Point A to Point B on the subway (even though we lived 1500 miles away
and visited rarely). But put me on the ground between stations, and I might as
well have been on the moon.

Bob
Old February 1st 11, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

: wrote:
:
: On Jan 30, 10:20*pm, otter wrote:
[...]

I hope that I'm not misunderstood about my opinion of Boston. If I
won some sort of drawing for free airline tickets to any US
destination, Boston would be high on my list. I'd love to go back to
Boston for the photography, the food, and the sights. It's just
driving in that city that I can't stand. Washington DC is right up
there with Boston as a city that's Hell to drive in and find your way
around.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 1st 11, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

wrote:
:
:On Jan 30, 10:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

I lived in Boston a year, and Cambridge another, and drove everywhere.
Maps always open and at my side. Loved those roundabouts, too, but
survived with nary a wrinkle in a panel.

--
john mcwilliams

Old February 1st 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:16:06 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

I lived in Boston a year, and Cambridge another, and drove everywhere.
Maps always open and at my side. Loved those roundabouts, too, but
survived with nary a wrinkle in a panel.

Yes, and you are one of the reasons that driving in Boston terrifies
me. You went zooming around me in a roundabout with your attention
completely centered on the map on the seat beside you.

Those of us who drive with our eyes on the road ahead and the cars
around us are screaming "Watch the road! Watch the road!" at you.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 1st 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

wrote:

I lived in Boston a year, and Cambridge another, and drove everywhere.
Maps always open and at my side. Loved those roundabouts, too, but
survived with nary a wrinkle in a panel.

Yes, and you are one of the reasons that driving in Boston terrifies
me. You went zooming around me in a roundabout with your attention
completely centered on the map on the seat beside you.

Those of us who drive with our eyes on the road ahead and the cars
around us are screaming "Watch the road! Watch the road!" at you.

Look, I drive in Boston all the time. It's easy if you follow a few rules:

1. Out of state plate=fresh meat.
2. Stop signs are a suggestion.
3. The right of way is a birthright.
4. Yellow lights are a joke; to be ignored.
5. Red lights are when you should look both ways before proceeding.
6. The people in the rotary (roundabout) have the right of way unless
you can get in front of them.
Old February 1st 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Benveniste

On 2/1/2011 10:39 AM, Bowser wrote:

Look, I drive in Boston all the time. It's easy if you follow a few rules:

1. Out of state plate=fresh meat.
2. Stop signs are a suggestion.
3. The right of way is a birthright.

Aka. "Thou shalt not yield."

4. Yellow lights are a joke; to be ignored.
5. Red lights are when you should look both ways before proceeding.
6. The people in the rotary (roundabout) have the right of way unless
you can get in front of them.

You forgot "A turn signal is giving information to the enemy,"
and several others. On the other hand, in terms of number of
road deaths per 100,000 people, a recent study concluded that
Massachusetts was the safest state in the U.S.:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ery25_ST_N.htm

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing
Old February 1st 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Bowser wrote:

Look, I drive in Boston all the time. It's easy if you follow a few rules:

1. Out of state plate=fresh meat.
2. Stop signs are a suggestion.
3. The right of way is a birthright.
4. Yellow lights are a joke; to be ignored.
5. Red lights are when you should look both ways before proceeding.
6. The people in the rotary (roundabout) have the right of way unless
you can get in front of them.

7. Green light gives you the right to go into the intersection and play
chicken with the folks entering on Red lights.
8. A block maybe two wrong way on a one way street doesn't count.

I saw a minor three car rear-ender in the center lane on a Boston expressway.
The three cars stopped. The center car was driven by a lady who opened a door
that was taken off by a car two ahead of me. He never stopped, brake lights
were on until he hit the door and then he resumed to freeway speed.

I used to live in NH and was in Boston weekly.

Walter..

Old February 1st 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Mike Benveniste wrote:

You forgot "A turn signal is giving information to the enemy,"
and several others. On the other hand, in terms of number of
road deaths per 100,000 people, a recent study concluded that
Massachusetts was the safest state in the U.S.:

Boston is like driving in bumper cars. It is heads up driving, most
accidents are minor. The traffic is so heavy that it is nearly
impossible to get a velocity delta big enough to do real damage.

Out of town trucks usually get their lumps driving intown along
the Charles river where several 10' underpasses are waiting
to trim them down to size.

Everbody has forgotten horns.
1) One honk means 'I'm here idiot'
2) Two honks 'Wots the matter are you deaf'
3) Steady loud honk 'I'm coming through'

Low cost brake job, bigger horn

w..

Old February 1st 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bowser

On 2/1/2011 10:47 AM, Mike Benveniste wrote:
On 2/1/2011 10:39 AM, Bowser wrote:

Look, I drive in Boston all the time. It's easy if you follow a few
rules:

1. Out of state plate=fresh meat.
2. Stop signs are a suggestion.
3. The right of way is a birthright.

Aka. "Thou shalt not yield."

4. Yellow lights are a joke; to be ignored.
5. Red lights are when you should look both ways before proceeding.
6. The people in the rotary (roundabout) have the right of way unless
you can get in front of them.

You forgot "A turn signal is giving information to the enemy,"
and several others. On the other hand, in terms of number of
road deaths per 100,000 people, a recent study concluded that
Massachusetts was the safest state in the U.S.:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ery25_ST_N.htm

WFT is a "turn signal?"

MA is the safest state for one very simple reason: you can't get killed
driving 15 MPH.