Nikon D300s first major camera to dump CF?

Old June 12th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
botox

Default Nikon D300s first major camera to dump CF?

I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash: there is no advantage to
the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.
Compact flash should be on the way to the graveyard of formats dead and
buried. If only compact flash cards would take the 1936 Exacta design
paradigm to the technology graveyard with them. They can stay up all night
playing poker with Betamax tapes while waiting for all those Apple computers
to join them.

Old June 12th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"botox" wrote:
I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash:

Maybe because it a time-proven design that was so well though through
that it didn't require any spec changes for the past 15 years and
supported up to 137GB at time when harddrives were still measured in MB
rather than GB? Maybe because it's an open standard?

Compare that to the proprietary SD, where designers apparently lacked
any vision when it came to future capacities and therefore required
already the third major incompatible version within 10 years, just to
keep up with actual capacity increases, forcing users to buy new
equipment?

there is no advantage to
the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.

I haven't seen a CF card die because of its size or weight, so it can't
be that fatal. And because of their size they are easier to handle and
harder to loose than e.g. SD.

CF may have other disadvantaged like some people love to point out the
pins as a weak spot. But aside of that it's a design that survived the
test of time very well.

jue
Old June 12th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D. Peter Maus

On 06/12/09 10:20, botox wrote:
I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash: there is no advantage
to the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.
Compact flash should be on the way to the graveyard of formats dead and
buried. If only compact flash cards would take the 1936 Exacta design
paradigm to the technology graveyard with them. They can stay up all
night playing poker with Betamax tapes while waiting for all those Apple
computers to join them.

If you've ever had to change a card sitting out on the skid of a
JetRanger at 80kts over Lake Michigan during a boat race, you'd
understand the benefits of a CF card.

They're large enough to handle quickly under very adverse
conditions by thick fingers, even gloved fingers, in a high wind.

I've worked with SD, XD even the early media cards in a Fuji 1200
P/S. Under similar conditions, wasted time, missed shots, dropped
cards, lost images.

CF is widely available, inexpensive, it works and it's easy to
handle.

No brainer.

Old June 12th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Gartshore[_3_]

In article , fac_187
@hotmail.com says...
I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash: there is no advantage to
the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.

I often struggle under the weight of three or four eight Gig CFs..

--
Tony.
Old June 12th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

"D. Peter Maus" wrote:

If you've ever had to change a card sitting out on the skid of a
JetRanger at 80kts over Lake Michigan during a boat race, you'd
understand the benefits of a CF card.

They're large enough to handle quickly under very adverse
conditions by thick fingers, even gloved fingers, in a high wind.

I've worked with SD, XD even the early media cards in a Fuji 1200
P/S. Under similar conditions, wasted time, missed shots, dropped
cards, lost images.

CF is widely available, inexpensive, it works and it's easy to
handle.

If the wind is blowing hard, and you drop a CF card, it will fall to the
ground very near to where you dropped it. Drop an SD card and it will
quite easily just blow away.

No brainer.

Agree 100%.

But RichA has no brain. We knew that already.

Old June 12th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 12-06-09 11:20, botox wrote:
I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash: there is no advantage
to the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.

Total nonsense.

I find that to be an endearing attribute. They are relatively easy to
spot in the studio, camera bag or rock ledge where last left. If you
drop one in the field, you're more likely to find it than a SD or MS.

I really wish SanDisk would use a yellow/black checkerboard or striped
design to make them even easier to spot.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 12th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

If the wind is blowing hard, and you drop a CF card, it will fall to the
ground very near to where you dropped it. Drop an SD card and it will
quite easily just blow away.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while.
Old June 12th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"botox" wrote:
I cannot understand from a technical reason why 1936-Exacta SLR design
format dSLRs would continue to use Compact Flash:

Maybe because it a time-proven design that was so well though through
that it didn't require any spec changes for the past 15 years and
supported up to 137GB at time when harddrives were still measured in MB
rather than GB? Maybe because it's an open standard?

Compare that to the proprietary SD, where designers apparently lacked
any vision when it came to future capacities and therefore required
already the third major incompatible version within 10 years, just to
keep up with actual capacity increases, forcing users to buy new
equipment?

That never happened, all the old SD cards continued to work in all the old
devices all the new odevices used the new larger standard, where the
problem?

there is no advantage to
the CF technology and it has the fatal flaw of being larger and heavier.

I haven't seen a CF card die because of its size or weight, so it can't
be that fatal. And because of their size they are easier to handle and
harder to loose than e.g. SD.

CF may have other disadvantaged like some people love to point out the
pins as a weak spot. But aside of that it's a design that survived the
test of time very well.

Indeed the pins are a week spot and the big problem is that when the card is
inserted and it damages the pins the pins are in the device, not in the card
so even a $10 card can do $100-200 damage to a device. With SD a $10 by
design cannot damage the device it slots into and that will do me. I will
admit I have only seen a couple of devices damaged but both times it was an
expensise D-SLR that the user manages to insert the card back to front.

Old June 12th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Bruce
wrote:

If the wind is blowing hard, and you drop a CF card, it will fall to the
ground very near to where you dropped it. Drop an SD card and it will
quite easily just blow away.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while.

Personally I use large enough cards that I rarely have to take them out
during a shoot (to be honest I can't remember the last time I actually had
to), at the low cost for very large cards it is a no brainer. A few dollars
for an 8Gb card takes a lot of photos.

Old June 12th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 12-06-09 16:35, Pete D wrote:
wrote in message
In , Bruce
wrote:

If the wind is blowing hard, and you drop a CF card, it will fall to the
ground very near to where you dropped it. Drop an SD card and it will
quite easily just blow away.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've read in a while.

Personally I use large enough cards that I rarely have to take them out
during a shoot (to be honest I can't remember the last time I actually had
to), at the low cost for very large cards it is a no brainer. A few dollars
for an 8Gb card takes a lot of photos.

The only place this has happened to me is the studio where even a 16 GB
card fills up quickly with raw when there is a sched to stick to. Even
more fun when you just ask the assistant to grab the next card...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.