End of an era

Old January 20th 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew Koenig

Default End of an era

I was at my local supermarket a few days ago. It's a branch of a chain with
more than 400 stores.

In the window was a sign saying that after January 29, they will no longer
process film.

Old January 20th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Spam This

"Andrew Koenig" wrote in message
I was at my local supermarket a few days ago. It's a branch of a chain
with more than 400 stores.

In the window was a sign saying that after January 29, they will no longer
process film.

And this surprises you how? Film sales are way down, our store in Ottawa
always gets comments on how much film we stock, as our two Toronto based
competitors stock little film. I can count the number of rolls we sell per
week on the fingers of my hand. Film labs are failing as they no longer have
the numbers to be viable. A mall lab I once managed required 200 rolls per
day to break-even, if we weren't in a high cost mall 100 per day would have
been profitable. I was hired when the lab was already in place, as I would
NOT have opted to rent that space.

Summary, film is dying as a commercially viable service, I see returning to
the pre-mini lab days of out-service labs that service a bunch of stores.

Old January 20th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Andrew Koenig wrote:
I was at my local supermarket a few days ago. It's a branch of a
chain with more than 400 stores.

In the window was a sign saying that after January 29, they will no
longer process film.

It's just amazing to me how *fast* this whole revolution occurred. I bought
my first digital camera less than ten years ago, and I consider that that
made me a very early buyer -- but certainly not a convert, as I had no
thought of ever abandoning 35mm. Even some years later, when a friend of
mine (who had Canons, and had one of the then latest model SLRs with a
whopping big 3 megapixels) insisted I should switch entirely to digital, I
replied "NEVER!"

And now look. I am really kicking myself for not selling my 35s when I still
could have gotten some good money for them. The one bright spot is that
thanks to Sony, some of my Minolta lenses are now worth more than I paid for
'em.

Old January 20th 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andrew Koenig

"Spam This" wrote in message

In the window was a sign saying that after January 29, they will no
longer process film.

And this surprises you how?

I am sorry, but did I say somewhere that I was surprised? I must have
missed it.

Old January 20th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ockham's Razor

Andrew Koenig wrote:
[...]

That's great. I have several old Minolta lenses from my SR-1. Maybe in
a few years.....

--
I contend we are both atheists - I just believe in
one fewer god than you do.

Old January 20th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Jim Keegan wrote:
http://www.openmyeyeslord.net:80/ALookBackInHistory.htm

Interesting site, and very informative. Having been born in 1929, I am
familiar with most of what is described in the first section, but I
wasn't aware of some of the material on the women's suffrage section.
Allen
Old January 20th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

Andrew Koenig wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, the old MC and MD mount lenses won't work on Sony DSLRs.
Gotta be Maxxum/Dynax.

Old January 20th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_3_]

"Mr. Jon Pope" wrote in message
Well they might be collectibles later on so keep them then sell on EVay

I've thought of that, but I'm afraid I'll never live long enough for these
to be worth anything.