I want to take better picture, where do I go to look?

Old May 18th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default I want to take better picture, where do I go to look?

Anyone got any ideas as to where the best net pictures are?

Most photo sites are just that, anyone with a camera....

You guys must know where to go to get inspired!

Thanks

Old May 18th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart[_3_]

wrote in message

Anyone got any ideas as to where the best net pictures are?

Most photo sites are just that, anyone with a camera....

You guys must know where to go to get inspired!

Thanks

First, let's assume that you have the basics of photography down. You know
what an f/stop is, and that it is written as a fraction and why. You know
how an f/stop relates to a shutter speed. And you know how f/stop and
shutter speed relates to a film speed. You know what focal length is, and
how it relates to prospective. You know what the "rule of thirds" is and
when to break it. You know what "sunny 16" is, and you know the difference
between incident and reflected meter readings. If this assumption is not
true, then you need to continue to haunt the 'photo sites' until you learn
these things.

Inspiration comes from within. But it only rears its ugly/beautiful head
when you look at the world around you, not the world on a 17" LCD monitor.
Look in a particular direction for ten seconds. Close your eyes. Reconstruct
what you saw in your mind. How much detail do you see? Is the image in your
mind detailed or fuzzy? After you've completely visualised the scene in your
mind, open your eyes again, and compare your mind's image with real life.
Practise this technique until your mind's eye is as sharp as your actual
eyes.

Once you start actually 'seeing' the world around you, finding things to
photograph will be easy. (A downside to this whole 'really seeing things' is
that you will be more alert to dust and dirt, and things out of place in
your home!)

Old May 19th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Sun, 18 May 2008 03:28:23 GMT, "Ken Hart" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I know most of the technical things about photography, even how to figure my
diopter close up filters, but I don't really know how to 'see' a scene as a good
photo.

I often see a great scene from my car window, but I can't really see it thru the
viewfinder, and then usually the picture sucks.

Lately I've been 'snapping away' like a madman, and seeing if anything turns
up... but I need another opinion, for one thing.

I've also tried to experiment by setting the scene framing to where I usually
like it, but then changing it zoom in and out and snapping a few more to see
what happens. (Thank Dog for digital cameras!)

I just saw a photo contest in the local paper, and I think the photo judge is an
idiot, I'd throw away the photos he picked! Maybe it's just me...

If I wanted to paint, I'd go tour a museum, so I'd like to see a fine art photo
exhibit that most people consider to be good.

I do buy Paris Match and the French issue of Photography to try to get ideas...

Thanks for your idea, I'll try that!

Robert
Old May 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart[_3_]

wrote in message
On Sun, 18 May 2008 03:28:23 GMT, "Ken Hart" wrote:

snip

[...]

Driving is not conducive to finding good photo matter, unless you're a news
photographer shooting accident photos! Seriously, when driving you are
(hopefully) concentrating on the process of driving and not trying to
compose a scene to make a good photograph.
OTOH, many times I've been driving along and see something that I think
would look good as a photograph. I (safely) stop and start walking to find
the best angle on the scene. There have been times I've ended up a half-mile
or more away from where I'd parked. (I do a lot of walking!)

Lately I've been 'snapping away' like a madman, and seeing if anything
turns
up... but I need another opinion, for one thing.

Machine gunning ("snapping away like a madman") is not creating a
photograph; it's hoping that you get results. Not to disparage the military,
but if you spray enough lead, you will kill a few enemy. If you're a trained
sniper, you can do just as well with a lot less firepower. Try shooting
medium or large format and, unless you are a close personal friend of Bill
Gates, you'll break the habit of machine-gunning real quick.

I've also tried to experiment by setting the scene framing to where I
usually
like it, but then changing it zoom in and out and snapping a few more to
see
what happens. (Thank Dog for digital cameras!)

A slight change in framing/compostition can mean the difference between a
work of art and a snapshot.

I just saw a photo contest in the local paper, and I think the photo judge
is an
idiot, I'd throw away the photos he picked! Maybe it's just me...

All photo contest judges are idiots except for the couple that selected my
work, and of course, me when I judged a couple (local) contests!

If I wanted to paint, I'd go tour a museum, so I'd like to see a fine art
photo
exhibit that most people consider to be good.

Actually, that's a good plan, just don't take it too far. Expose yourself to
plenty of exhibited or published photos. As you look at these photos, after
appreciating them, try to figure out the technical aspects of the photo.
Then try to figure out how the photo would have looked had the photographer
made it differently. For example: where is the light coming from, and how
different would the photo look if the light had been coming from a different
angle or source? What lens did the photographer use, and how would the
perspective be changed had he used a different lens? What do you think was
outside the frame and how would the photo be different if it had been framed
differently?

As for my comment 'don't take it too far': you aren't Ansel Adams, so don't
try to do what he did. Appreciate his work, then try to do something
differnet.

I do buy Paris Match and the French issue of Photography to try to get
ideas...

Not familiar with those magaxines, but if they have a variety of photographs
from different photographers, it's probably a good idea.

Thanks for your idea, I'll try that!

You're welcome, but try to avoid the closing your eyes part while driving!

Robert