Alan Browne heads up - New KM D9 rumour

Old August 24th 05, 10:43 PM
Toa

Default Alan Browne heads up - New KM D9 rumour

I dunno if you follow the DPreview forum but there's an interesting thread
developing

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14738559

It pointed to a message in a Kodak forum listing this

This new flagship (Unofficially designated D-9) is claimed to be rather
modular including upgradeable sensor chip, and is supposely FF sensor
size.

Basically it's about a long rumoured D9. No dates or specs although the
rumour has been reinforced somewhat by this from the guy who did an
excellent preview of the D5 before it was officially released (he workes for
KM in Taiwan). He says this

Yes she is coming with some new exciting lenses after having discontinued
the 17-35 f/3.5 APO G, 28-70 f/2.8 G, 600 f/4 and 400 f4.5 APO G

Not much else apart from the above. Interesting to see the rumoured
upgradable sensor

All FWIW, caveat emptor

Toa

Old August 25th 05, 12:10 AM
Rich

CANON, NIKON, PENTAX and OLYMPUS please take
note of this passage:

"This new flagship (Unofficially designated D-9) is claimed to be
rather modular including upgradeable sensor chip, and is supposely FF
sensor size."

If they do this, it could offer a huge advance over the obsolescence
problem of DSLRs.
It's about frigging time!
-Rich

Old August 25th 05, 02:04 AM
Alan Browne

Toa wrote:
I dunno if you follow the DPreview forum but there's an interesting thread
developing

The forums are not that great their, to me, brand loyalty carried a bit
too far. A few good posters to be sure, but too much useless fluff.

Basically it's about a long rumoured D9. No dates or specs although the
rumour has been reinforced somewhat by this from the guy who did an
excellent preview of the D5 before it was officially released (he workes for
KM in Taiwan). He says this

Well, first off, it sounds to me like a plain and simple rumor that has
taken on a life of its own. Second, the name is wrong. It would be a
9D. (That's not cast in iron, but would follow the K-M convention).

I sincerely hope that a "9" class full frame digital camera emerges from
K-M, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 25th 05, 02:14 AM
Toa

The forums are not that great their, to me, brand loyalty carried a bit
too far. A few good posters to be sure, but too much useless fluff.

Agreed. Not unlike this place huh g

Well, first off, it sounds to me like a plain and simple rumor that has
taken on a life of its own. Second, the name is wrong. It would be a 9D.
(That's not cast in iron, but would follow the K-M convention).

Yup. But I'm assuming it is a lot more than rumour, based on KM SEA's
comments. From what I gather he's based in Taiwan, works for KM and
road-tests the cams pre-release. I read his preview on the 5D before it hit
the market. Very comprehensive test, lots of photos etc etc etc. I just
can't find that review now, not sure where it is

I sincerely hope that a "9" class full frame digital camera emerges from
K-M, but I'm not holding my breath.
Alan.

He's spoken of a 3D as well, what that is going to be is anyone's guess.
Probably a slimmed down 5D???

Toa

Old August 25th 05, 04:23 PM

He's spoken of a 3D as well, what that is going to be is anyone's guess.
Probably a slimmed down 5D???

Wow, and I though it was alot expecting a movie mode in a DSLR... but
3D holograms! Incredible! g

Seriously, i'm looking forward to seeing KM have a full lineup of
cameras to compete with Nikon and Canon. It can only be good for the
industry. Consumers like to know that their brand has 'headroom'
so-to-speak... most people buy a Neon, but its nice to know that
Chrystler also has a Viper in their catalogue.

PS The 5D looks nicely priced for what it offers... a 3D?? I'd be
really worried about how many design compromises would be made to offer
an even better price point. Maybe the same as the 5D (mount, sensor,
casing) but no motion stability?

Old August 26th 05, 12:03 AM
Alan Browne

Toa wrote:
The forums are not that great their, to me, brand loyalty carried a bit
too far. A few good posters to be sure, but too much useless fluff.

Agreed. Not unlike this place huh g

Well, first off, it sounds to me like a plain and simple rumor that has
taken on a life of its own. Second, the name is wrong. It would be a 9D.
(That's not cast in iron, but would follow the K-M convention).

Yup. But I'm assuming it is a lot more than rumour, based on KM SEA's
comments. From what I gather he's based in Taiwan, works for KM and
road-tests the cams pre-release.

What do you know for a 'fact' about this guy? Nothing.

Anyone doing pre-release testing would most likely be under
non-disclosure rules. Minolta have traditionally been very mum prior to
a product release.

(I'm not poking at you, I'm just very suspect of this source.

I'd love for this to be "true" Just not that hopeful )

I read his preview on the 5D before it hit
the market. Very comprehensive test, lots of photos etc etc etc. I just
can't find that review now, not sure where it is

I sincerely hope that a "9" class full frame digital camera emerges from
K-M, but I'm not holding my breath.
Alan.

He's spoken of a 3D as well, what that is going to be is anyone's guess.
Probably a slimmed down 5D???

If true, no anti-shake perhaps. Even less exposure control. Eg: a
glorified P&S. (Note I was wrong about A/S for the 5D, I could be wrong
here too).

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 26th 05, 10:57 PM
Toa

What do you know for a 'fact' about this guy? Nothing.

Correct, it's all assumption

I'll do some more digging about him and let you know what I find out

Toa

Old August 27th 05, 12:45 AM
Toa

My mistake, my recall was wrong. KM SEA did no preview, rather there was a
very early Review from another user

http://www.photohobby.net/webboard/s...lldata&No=5613
posted late July

Toa

Unintended anaglyph stereo effect - (and Ping Alan Browne) Jeff R Digital SLR Cameras 9 June 10th 05 03:10 PM
Alan Browne Lionel Digital Photography 1 April 11th 05 02:54 PM
Alan Browne Lionel Digital SLR Cameras 0 April 11th 05 02:54 PM
Ping Alan Browne!!! (and other Minolta fans) [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 28 January 24th 05 03:02 PM
Farewell to Alan Browne ! Tony P Film & Labs 1 November 11th 03 10:38 AM