Question about Lenses for the Canon Digital Rebel?

Old August 25th 05, 05:03 PM
jean

It would actually be in addition to the kit lens. I would keep the kit
lens, as it does have the 18mm on the kit lens. I also have a 8mm
Peleng lens, a 70-300 Canon lens, and a 500mm F-8 lens.

On a side note, how do you like the Peleng lens? I just bought one and
granted the quality is not the best but the effects are amazing, especially
when playing with the files and "defishing" the resulting image.

Jean

Old August 25th 05, 05:53 PM
piperut

Actually, I didn't find the quality all that bad.
I am not sure if this varies from lens to lens.
The Kiev Cameras and lenses would had this problem.
One would be good workmanship, and the next would not be so good.

One dealer would get better quality lenses and cameras then another
dealer.

It might depend on where you purchased the lens.

I also noticed a great improvement in the quality of the image by using
the UV filter
that came with the lens, instead of the plain glass filter that came
mounted on the
lens.

It was a little bit tough getting the plain glass filter off, as it is
screwed on fairly tight.
I did not screw the UV filter on as tight.

The UV filter also cut down a bit on the sun spots. Not as much as I
would have liked,
but a little bit.

roland

Old August 25th 05, 11:29 PM
jean

Thanks for those tips, I will try that. I got mine from Kiev Cameras on
e-bay. I think for the price it can't be beat, there is no way in h... I
would buy a Sigma at 3 times the price which is the next lowest priced "fish
eye" available.

Jean

oups.com...

Old August 26th 05, 01:10 AM
no one

piperut wrote:

I did find a Tamron dealer here locally. I haven't bought 35mm lenses
in years.
So my infomation about 2nd party lenses is a bit dated. (I bought the
70-300mm lens when I had a Canon 35mm Rebel, and before that I ...
well, I bought lenses with the Canon FD mount. Back then the 2nd party
manufacturers sort of had bad reputations. This was pretty much across
the board, Tamron, Sigma, Quantaray, Vivatar, and there were a couple
of others. I really didn't consider the 2nd party lenses because of
this. I guess times have changed. This lens is more money then I was
thinking of spending.

I'm not real impressed with the one Tamron lens I own, but then again,
it's not supposed to be one of their better performing lenses.

I have been happy with Tokina's AT-X Pro lenses; good glass, solid
construction & good support from the manufacturer.

They've got a new 28 - 70

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-03.html