An experiment

Old December 30th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Cheesehead

Default An experiment

Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Collin

Old December 30th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Cheesehead spake thus:

Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Interesting idea. So how "thin" can you get the Baby Graphic? That would
seem to be the limiting factor, since (I assume) you're going to put
this in front of the 8x10's lensboard.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old December 31st 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the
front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal
plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Collin

I've seen back shutters from 4x5 Speed Graphics adapted
to fit onto the back of a view camera. I have never seen one
adapted to use as a front shutter but similar "roller blind"
shutters were made for years so it should work.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 31st 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Cheesehead

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Cheesehead spake thus:

Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Interesting idea. So how "thin" can you get the Baby Graphic? That would
seem to be the limiting factor, since (I assume) you're going to put
this in front of the 8x10's lensboard.

I saw an old commercial unit of this type sell recently on eBay.
IIRC, it went for about $160. So yesterday I asked Jim @ Midwest
about them. He'd seen them in the past. So I started thinking about
what might be involved in adding one to my current camera. The front
standard is certainly solid enough and, if constructed correctly, there

shouldn't be any more stress from it than from any heavy lens.

BTW, I agree with your sig about Wikipedia. It's a questionable
source.

Old December 31st 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
babelfish

How about a Packard shutter? Some were operated by air pressure using a bulb
and others were electric using a solenoid. Not for fast exposures, but for
8x10 landscape work it would be a cheap alternative to put a shutter behind
a barrel lens.

Old December 31st 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Cheesehead spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Good, but you didn't answer my question: how thin can you get the parts
you extract from the Baby Speed? By this I mean how thick will the whole
gizmo (front standard + shutter) be? Will that leave enough room for
8x10 bellows, etc?

Old December 31st 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jim

Cheesehead wrote:
Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Collin

The biggest problems would be with control of the shutter itself! You
have to wind (cock) the shutter, set the speed, and release it, all
require direct linkage to the shutter assembly. Releasing would not be
that much of a problem, setting the shutter speed would be difficult,
but winding (cocking) would be major. I say all this after looking over
a complete shutter assembly from a speed graphic 2x3 that is now
setting on the desk in front of me. To me, size would not be a problem,
however, mounting would take some skill.

Jim Simmons

No, the shutter I have is not for sale!

Old December 31st 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Cheesehead" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the
front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal
plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Collin

I've seen back shutters from 4x5 Speed Graphics adapted
to fit onto the back of a view camera. I have never seen one
adapted to use as a front shutter but similar "roller blind"
shutters were made for years so it should work.

--
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Netherlands Photo-historical society (fotographia).

Old December 31st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Marv Soloff

Peter wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
groups.com...

Here's the thought.
For my 8x10, to use a variety of good barrel lenses,
I'd like to take an old Baby Speed Graphic, remove the
front and back,
add mounting and a front lens board, and thus have a focal
plane
shutter on the fron to fthe 8x10.
Has anyone done this?
(Anyone got a Speed FS for parts?)

Collin

I've seen back shutters from 4x5 Speed Graphics adapted
to fit onto the back of a view camera. I have never seen one
adapted to use as a front shutter but similar "roller blind"
shutters were made for years so it should work.

--
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Netherlands Photo-historical society (fotographia).

A Packard shutter in front of the lens. Packard is still in business
last I looked.

Regards - and have a good New Year.

Marv
Old January 1st 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

Peter wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

Probably tired last night. I should have given a URL

http://www.fotografica.nl/Efoto.htm

I should have spelled fotografica correctly and also should have
mentioned that the reference to the URL was applicable to the remark
about roller blind shutters.