My name is Steve, and I have a problem.

Old August 5th 05, 01:07 PM
Steve Franklin

Default My name is Steve, and I have a problem.

I used to work in the retail photographic industry for about 10 years
selling to pro's and serious amateurs and just your average bloke in the
street. We used to get some guys in that had tonnes of pro gear that would
obsess over this lens and that body and do resolutions tests of this and
that....but rarely actually did anything with it. And then we had the people
that actually photographed stuff.

I freely admit, I'm a bit of both. I've owned Nikon and Canon gear before
and I just love the look of a good camera. Truth be told, I'm probably more
into the gear than the photographs.

Some of my favourite bits of kit I've owned from a purely aesthetic/tactile
point of view.

Canon A1
Canon Ae1 Program
Canon T90
Canon EOS 630
Contax 167MT
MPP 5x4 inch (english built I think....just gorgeously over engineered)
Nikon F4
Nikon F3
Nikon FM2
Nikon FM
Nikon D70
Nikon 55mm Micro Nikkor
Nikon 300mm 2.8
Nikon 80-200 2.8
Mamiya C330
Minolta XG-7 (The most beautiful shutter mechanism ever)

Will anyone else own up to just loving the look and feel of camera
equipment, and if so..what gear has really pushed your buttons in the past?

c'mon...you can tell me..you're amongst friends here..

Old August 5th 05, 01:24 PM
ink

"Steve Franklin" wrote in message
I used to work in the retail photographic industry for about 10 years
selling to pro's and serious amateurs and just your average bloke in the
street. We used to get some guys in that had tonnes of pro gear that would
obsess over this lens and that body and do resolutions tests of this and
that....but rarely actually did anything with it. And then we had the

people
that actually photographed stuff.

SNIP
c'mon...you can tell me..you're amongst friends here..

Nikon F-100
105mm Micro Nikkor 2.8AF D

Good thing is... it doesn't just look good... it's a good camera, too.

Cheers,
ink

Old August 5th 05, 02:45 PM
All Things Mopar

On this date, Steve Franklin extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

[...]

You forget to take your meds this morning? This message could
best be described as incoherent rambling.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Old August 5th 05, 05:19 PM
dylan

You forget to take your meds this morning? This message could
best be described as incoherent rambling.

.....and not contain anything related to digital slr's...

Old August 5th 05, 06:58 PM
David A

"Steve Franklin" wrote in message
Will anyone else own up to just loving the look and feel of camera
equipment, and if so..what gear has really pushed your buttons in the
past?

I love the look and feel of my Canon 300d EOS (Digital SLR) I am addicted to
photo stuff know. I have taken 9000 pictures in a little over year, and
picked several lens too.

*And* it pushes my buttons too, ever since the autofocus submirror actuator
(plastic crap) pin piece broke, 2 months out of warrantee, a $200 fix, I
have been pretty much ****ed off.

And it happened in the past.

David A.

Old August 5th 05, 07:00 PM
David A

"David A" wrote in message

"Steve Franklin" wrote in message
Will anyone else own up to just loving the look and feel of camera
equipment, and if so..what gear has really pushed your buttons in the
past?

I love the look and feel of my Canon 300d EOS (Digital SLR) I am addicted
to photo stuff know. I have taken 9000 pictures in a little over year, and
picked several lens too.

*And* it pushes my buttons too, ever since the autofocus submirror
actuator (plastic crap) pin piece broke, 2 months out of warrantee, a $200
fix, I have been pretty much ****ed off.

And it happened in the past.

David A.

I admit it, I feel good about sharing this with everyone - there, its off my
chest.

Thank you, everybody!

David A.

Old August 5th 05, 08:43 PM
BJ in Texas

Zed Pobre wrote:
|| Steve Franklin wrote:
||| Will anyone else own up to just loving the look and feel of
||| camera equipment, and if so..what gear has really pushed
||| your buttons in the past?
||| c'mon...you can tell me..you're amongst friends here..
|| Actually, there is one thing that kind of catches me this
|| way. It's not the body, though I do like the feel of my 20D.
|| It's not the lenses.
|| It's the lens hoods. I have to remind myself not to pet the
|| fuzzy inside portion on my lens hoods to minimize the chance
|| of bringing any dirt or skin oils near the lens... and the
|| petal shaped hood on my 17-85 is just kind of cute. I
|| sometimes indulge myself and let my fingertip trail over the
|| outside along the wavy top.
|| --
|| Zed Pobre a.k.a. Zed Pobre

|| PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail
|| welcomed.

:-)

"In this life, you can get away with being either stupid or
greedy. Being both however is unforgivable, and could even be
fatal."

Old August 6th 05, 12:54 AM
Cockpit Colin

I used to own a Kodak Instamatic - does that count?

Old August 6th 05, 05:42 AM
Stacey

Steve Franklin wrote:

Will anyone else own up to just loving the look and feel of camera
equipment, and if so..what gear has really pushed your buttons in the
past?

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/p...s/vito_ii.html

Not sure what it is, but this camera has a great aesthetic design to me.

--

Stacey
Old August 6th 05, 07:35 AM
birdman

My impression is that nearly everyone who reads or posts to this newsgroup
is a hopeless cameraholic.
Me especially.