canon 20d flash failures

Old July 31st 05, 11:38 PM
Richard Fateman

Default canon 20d flash failures

Anyone else have this kind of problem?:
On some automatic mode, the 20d decides to flip up the
flash. It clicks 3 times (failing to pop up), and displays
err 05. Sometimes it works, though.

Using the same camera with a PC connection to a flash
(a Metz CL-45), it works quite well for a while but
then fails to trigger the flash. One time I thought
I cured it by removing the (camera) battery and replacing
with a freshly charged one. This doesn't seem to have
entirely cured it.

I contacted Canon regarding the first problem. After
assuring them that I was using a genuine Canon EF-S
lens, they said to send it to them.

Old August 1st 05, 04:05 AM
Tom B. Stone

Richard Fateman wrote in news:tpcHe.8744$_%
:

Anyone else have this kind of problem?:
On some automatic mode, the 20d decides to flip up the
flash. It clicks 3 times (failing to pop up), and displays
err 05. Sometimes it works, though.

Using the same camera with a PC connection to a flash
(a Metz CL-45), it works quite well for a while but
then fails to trigger the flash. One time I thought
I cured it by removing the (camera) battery and replacing
with a freshly charged one. This doesn't seem to have
entirely cured it.

I contacted Canon regarding the first problem. After
assuring them that I was using a genuine Canon EF-S
lens, they said to send it to them.

I posted this question a few days ago:

On my recommendation a friend purchased a Canon EOS 20d just like I have.
When he received it, it was giving him error 005, flash pop-up problems.
Suggested remedies did not correct it and he his going to send the body
back for replacement. Anybody else run into this and what did you do
about it? When the flach pops up automatically, it goes immediately into
error mode. When you set it for manual and pop the flash up with the
release button, it goes into error the minute you try to shoot with it.
Seems that it's an electronic glitch that can't be resolved without
professional repair. Thoughts?

No one seemed to really know anything about that error. My friend
ultimately sent the camera back and got a new one. Seems they have an
flash problem with some of their cameras. I'm wondering if they will
post a fix that can be downloaded into the system. Curious.
Old August 12th 05, 10:46 PM
Richard Fateman

I sent the camera in to Canon Factor Service in Irvine, California. They
received it on August 4, and completed the repairs on Aug 8;
sent it back 2-day Fedex. It arrived Aug 11.

It seems to work now. No note of software upgrade.
Though the failure of the off-camera flash takes a while
to show up, so I'm not absolutely sure of that...

Here is their info in "Service Details"
Adjust Mirror Detection Unit. Repair Flash Pop-ups. Check all
internal Error Code. Check Apature (sic), Shutter, AE, AF.
Cleaned CMOS and Viewfinder. Checked all functions to manufacture specs.

No charge, though it cost me $23 for postage and insurance
to send it to them.

RJF

Old August 13th 05, 07:25 PM
Tom B. Stone

Richard Fateman wrote in
:

Tom B. Stone wrote:

[...]

My friend sent his back to the retailer (Roberts Camera, Indianapolis, IN
the same place I bought mine) and they sent him a total replacement
immediately. No idea what caused the problem. Robert's in Indiana is a
great place to get good service if you live in the mid-west. I've been
to the store (I live in Cincinnati) and they were very helpful and
courtious. Fast shipping and prompt customer response. Not like some of
the New York or Chicago outlets. I highly recomend them.