Nikon announces new flagship **FILM** SLR – the F6!

Old September 17th 04, 04:56 PM
Bill Tuthill

ThomasH wrote:

Does someone knows how many mAh a typical CR123 has?

According to my online research, 1200 to 1400 mAh.

Do we have CR123 compatible rechargeable Li-Ion? They never
made large scale rechargeable 2CR5!

I have never seen one.

Heck, lithium AAA batteries are *still* not available!

Old September 17th 04, 05:08 PM
Matt Clara

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Peter Lawrence wrote:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

...not sure if anyone else posted on it ... but the F6 backs
off to 1/250 sync speed from 1/300. Yet another area where the
F6 is a watered down F5 or more likely an improved F100.

Whatever... Most modern Nikons will go to 1/300 (on manual), but it's iffy,
even on the F5. Nikon's just playing it safe. Plus, look at the host of
other bells and whistles, like the built in databack, inter-volvo-meter,
etc. Then there's the full metal body, including the back, beter meter,
better autofocus, mirror lockup, faster motordrive, shutter monitor, and a
super hightech shutter made in collaboration with DuPont. The list goes on
and on.
If this is an improved F100, it's improvements are generational, at the very
least.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 17th 04, 05:37 PM
Alan Browne

Patrick Leung wrote:
Why I don't see the MLU function in the new F6?

It's there.

"Mirror lockup Set using film advance mode selector"

So perhaps a delay type rather than a lever type.

Old September 17th 04, 05:38 PM
Alan Browne

Matt Clara wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

...not sure if anyone else posted on it ... but the F6 backs
off to 1/250 sync speed from 1/300. Yet another area where the
F6 is a watered down F5 or more likely an improved F100.

Whatever... Most modern Nikons will go to 1/300 (on manual), but it's iffy,
even on the F5. Nikon's just playing it safe. Plus, look at the host of

On the F5 it is spec so I would expect it to work within the temp
range of the camera flawlessly.

other bells and whistles, like the built in databack, inter-volvo-meter,
etc. Then there's the full metal body, including the back, beter meter,
better autofocus, mirror lockup, faster motordrive, shutter monitor, and a

Shutter monitor? WTF is that? Nikon shutters are extremely
reliable in this class ... not something of value to monitor it, IMO.

super hightech shutter made in collaboration with DuPont. The list goes on

About time they caught up to Minolta (Max 9 [1998] uses carbon
fibre reinforced epoxy blades and shoots to 1/12,000 (1/300 sync)).

and on.
If this is an improved F100, it's improvements are generational, at the very
least.

I expected that the "F6" would be better than an "F5" in all
respects. Maybe that's the wrong way to look at it... but by
going to a fixed VF, slower sync, etc. etc. they've taken away
some of the king-of-the-hill pro appeal.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old September 17th 04, 07:39 PM
ThomasH

Bill Tuthill wrote:

ThomasH wrote:

Does someone knows how many mAh a typical CR123 has?

According to my online research, 1200 to 1400 mAh.

Do we have CR123 compatible rechargeable Li-Ion? They never
made large scale rechargeable 2CR5!

I have never seen one.

Heck, lithium AAA batteries are *still* not available!

I got so used to the rechargeable AA'a and also in my
"small" digital is of course also a Li-Ion rechargeable,
that I am almost hesitant to use anything what would force
me to use one way batteries again! Why to revert to such
technology? Apparently the F6 does not offer any alternative,
unless you attach the vertical grip with Nikon's battery pack.

Thomas

Old September 17th 04, 08:52 PM
TP

Gordon Moat wrote:

Thanks for sharing. It almost seems like more of an update to the F100,
than a change in the F5. This is the first F single digit camera from
Nikon to not allow changing the viewfinder. :-(

I am not surprised that the flash control feature of the latest digital
SLRs has made it to the film line, though I wonder if only the F6 will
have that capability in the film SLR line.

Gordon,

There is an "F105" under development which has the body style of the
F100 but with most of the features of the F6. Expect it in 2005.

Tony