Nikon's D50, the new entry-level "king?"

Old August 12th 05, 06:34 AM
RichA

Default Nikon's D50, the new entry-level "king?"

I read the review in Popular Photography (yes, I know
most people don't like it) but they seemed to imply that
this camera is THE new entry-level champ. Noise is lower
than the Rebel XT or D70s, they actually "passed" it's
1600 iso noise level, and it's kit lens (which places it
price-wise identical to the Rebel XT) is very good as well.
It's autofocus is also better than the other two cameras
in low light or normal light, it's faster.
They did mention that it couldn't shoot as fast as the Rebel XT
and that it's colours are "well saturated" but it looks like Nikon
concentrated on what mattered the most for image quality
and left some of the gloss off.
It's only 6 meg versus the Rebel's 8 meg, but that seems to take
a back-seat to noise supression and other image attributes.
I'm just wondering if Nikon will tweak the D70s to achieve lower
noise levels now?
-Rich

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"
Old August 13th 05, 12:52 AM
RichA

I'd just like to ad to this that despite it's very low ISO noise,
Nikon's sensor is CCD, not CMOS so the "take over" of digital camera
sensor market by CMOS may not happen that quickly.

Old August 13th 05, 02:34 AM
Darrell

Then next month the KM 5D will be released at the same price as the Nikon
D50. Our pre-book price is 5D with the 18~70 kit lens is $1100 cdn. It
should finally grab the Minolta Maxxum users who hadn't bought the more
expensive 7D.

Old August 13th 05, 01:28 PM
Tony Polson

"Darrell" wrote:

Then next month the KM 5D will be released at the same price as the Nikon
D50. Our pre-book price is 5D with the 18~70 kit lens is $1100 cdn. It
should finally grab the Minolta Maxxum users who hadn't bought the more
expensive 7D.

According to my friendly dealer, who has been a Minolta authorised
dealer for over 30 years, all his regular Minolta customers have
already bought Canon, Nikon or Olympus digital. He has had one
Minolta 7D on display since launch, and despite now offering it at a
60% discount on the launch price, it has never sold.

Old August 13th 05, 08:26 PM
RichA

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:28:29 +0100, Tony Polson
wrote:

"Darrell" wrote:

Then next month the KM 5D will be released at the same price as the Nikon
D50. Our pre-book price is 5D with the 18~70 kit lens is $1100 cdn. It
should finally grab the Minolta Maxxum users who hadn't bought the more
expensive 7D.

According to my friendly dealer, who has been a Minolta authorised
dealer for over 30 years, all his regular Minolta customers have
already bought Canon, Nikon or Olympus digital. He has had one
Minolta 7D on display since launch, and despite now offering it at a
60% discount on the launch price, it has never sold.

In 30 years he has no customers with Minolta legacy lenses or they've
all sold them off to buy Canon or Nikon or Olympus? That must be some
kind of record.

Old August 14th 05, 04:00 AM
Darrell

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Darrell" wrote:

Then next month the KM 5D will be released at the same price as the Nikon
D50. Our pre-book price is 5D with the 18~70 kit lens is $1100 cdn. It
should finally grab the Minolta Maxxum users who hadn't bought the more
expensive 7D.

According to my friendly dealer, who has been a Minolta authorised
dealer for over 30 years, all his regular Minolta customers have
already bought Canon, Nikon or Olympus digital. He has had one
Minolta 7D on display since launch, and despite now offering it at a
60% discount on the launch price, it has never sold.

The shop I work at in Ottawa moved dozens of 7D bodies, mind you many were
Internet sales to places that had no local stocking dealers..

Old August 14th 05, 01:50 PM
Tony Polson

"Darrell" wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
.. .
"Darrell" wrote:

Then next month the KM 5D will be released at the same price as the Nikon
D50. Our pre-book price is 5D with the 18~70 kit lens is $1100 cdn. It
should finally grab the Minolta Maxxum users who hadn't bought the more
expensive 7D.

According to my friendly dealer, who has been a Minolta authorised
dealer for over 30 years, all his regular Minolta customers have
already bought Canon, Nikon or Olympus digital. He has had one
Minolta 7D on display since launch, and despite now offering it at a
60% discount on the launch price, it has never sold.

The shop I work at in Ottawa moved dozens of 7D bodies, mind you many were
Internet sales to places that had no local stocking dealers..

That's Canada for you ... perhaps Konica Minolta should collect the
thousands of unsold Maxxum/Dynax 7D bodies that are languishing on
dealers' shelves across the world and send them to Canada, where they
will find willing buyers?

I know a couple of dealers who would be *absolutely delighted* to have
Konica Minolta take these unsaleable items off them.

;-)