what is ZLR?

Old January 12th 05, 08:43 PM
Per Nordenberg

Excuse me for a potentially stupid question. I'm well aware of the terms 'SLR' and 'ZLR', but what
does 'EVF' stand for?

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Old January 12th 05, 09:55 PM
David J Taylor

Per Nordenberg wrote:
Excuse me for a potentially stupid question. I'm well aware of the
terms 'SLR' and 'ZLR', but what does 'EVF' stand for?

Per - it means Electronic ViewFinder.

It has nothing to do with the defintion of a ZLR - please see the group's
charter.

Cheers,
David

Old January 12th 05, 10:18 PM
Per Nordenberg

"David J Taylor" skrev i meddelandet
Per Nordenberg wrote:
Excuse me for a potentially stupid question. I'm well aware of the
terms 'SLR' and 'ZLR', but what does 'EVF' stand for?

Per - it means Electronic ViewFinder.

It has nothing to do with the defintion of a ZLR - please see the group's
charter.

Cheers,
David

Thanks David!

Best regards,

Per Nordenberg

Old January 12th 05, 10:30 PM
J.S.Pitanga

Hi Per, you say

Excuse me for a potentially stupid question.
I'm well aware of the terms 'SLR' and 'ZLR',
but what does 'EVF' stand for?

Far from stupid, this is the single most essential question one could ask
in a group dedicated to EVF cameras (sometimes mistakenly called "ZLRs")
since an EVF is their defining characteristic.

"EVF" stands for "Electronic View Finder", which is a small LCD used in
some digital compact cameras that "simulates in an electronic way the
effect of the (superior) optical TTL viewfinders found on digital SLRs".

Some further information about EVFs, LCDs and optical viewfinders can be
found in the article at
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...wfinder_01.htm,
wherefrom comes the above quoted sentence. See also
http://www.digicamhelp.com/digital-c...iewfinders.htm.

Such digital cameras use an EVF instead of a TTL (through the lens)
optical viewfinder, and thus are not reflex cameras; they are thus neither
SLRs nor consequently the subset of SLRs called ZLRs.

The best,

Julio.
Old January 12th 05, 11:09 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[Greg:]
Of course, I know that my words are the merest
puff of methane in a windstorm, so now that I've
released a little pressure (and no doubt someone
will be happy to light a match in the vicinity
and fan the flames), I'll shut up again.

[Greg, later on:]
and I shall respond no more.

[Julio:]
This you have already promised, but did not stand by
your word. Anyway, I don't care.

[Greg, now:]
Fair's fair - I broke my promise, and you're obviously
lying!

Fart is fart. This is how you see (or smell) and (dis)honor your own words!

Julio.
Old January 12th 05, 11:40 PM
J.S.Pitanga

[David:]
Per - it means Electronic ViewFinder.
It has nothing to do with the defintion of a ZLR
- please see the group's charter.

The charter describes as "ZLR" those cameras which are "frequently
[although mistakenly] referred to as digital ZLR (zoom lens reflex)
cameras or SLR-like digital cameras".

Funny enough, such cameras are precisely the EVFs, or cameras with an EVF.

Therefore, I request you please to stick to the terms of the charter and
from now on always think of an EVF even if you mistakenly call it a "ZLR".

Julio.
Old January 13th 05, 12:02 AM
Per Nordenberg

"J.S.Pitanga" skrev i meddelandet
news
[David:]
Per - it means Electronic ViewFinder.
It has nothing to do with the defintion of a ZLR
- please see the group's charter.

The charter describes as "ZLR" those cameras which are "frequently
[although mistakenly] referred to as digital ZLR (zoom lens reflex)
cameras or SLR-like digital cameras".

Funny enough, such cameras are precisely the EVFs, or cameras with an EVF.

Therefore, I request you please to stick to the terms of the charter and
from now on always think of an EVF even if you mistakenly call it a "ZLR".

Julio.

Ok.
If I have understood you correctly then my Olympus C-2100 UZ (fixed zoom lens, electronic view
finder) can be discussed here in this group, but not the more sophisticated Olympus E-10 and E-20
(in spite of the fact that they have a fixed zoom lens and a true TTL viewfinder and thus should be
referred to as 'ZLR')?? In which group should the last-mentioned cameras be discussed then?

Regards,

Per Nordenberg

Old January 13th 05, 01:28 AM
J.S.Pitanga

Hi Per, you say

Ok.
If I have understood you correctly then my Olympus C-2100
UZ (fixed zoom lens, electronic view finder) can be discussed
here in this group, but not the more sophisticated Olympus
E-10 and E-20 (in spite of the fact that they have a fixed
zoom lens and a true TTL viewfinder and thus should be
referred to as 'ZLR')??

Indeed. The E-10 and E-20 are SLRs, or single-lens-reflex cameras, because
they have an optical viewfinder allowing one to see the subject through
the lens (TTL). Since they have a non-interchangeable zoom lens, it is
acceptable that they are also called ZLRs, which are a subset of SLRs, in
keeping with the traditionally established usage of the term.

Your example highlights even more the utter inadequacy and ineptitude of
calling EVF cameras "ZLRs". EVF cameras are not reflex cameras, and thus
neither SLRs nor ZLRs. Besides, there is another category of digital
cameras, including those you have just pointed out, which are legitimately
called ZLRs.

To sum up, calling an EVF camera a "ZLR", or even a "SLR-like camera" is a
stolen, illegitimate, deceptive, misleading, and confusing designation -
with the absurd result that actual ZLR cameras such the E-10 and E-20 are
not subjects of discussion in this so-called "ZLR" group - just because
they are SLRs.

Emphasizing the "SLR-like" appearance of EVFs, and misnaming them "ZLRs",
whle neglecting their defining characteristic, the EVF, which essentially
sets them apart from SLRs and true ZLRs, is at best a deceptive marketing
trick targeting the gullible, non-discriminating user - a trick
disgracefully and stubbornly nourished by the writers of the charter of
this group.

In which group should the last-mentioned cameras be discussed
then?

Since they are SLRs, in a SLR group.

The best,

Julio.
Old January 13th 05, 01:43 AM
Bruce Murphy

"Greg Evans" writes:

Charles Schuler wrote:

This "digital ZSR" issue is so darned confusing that it can
only lead to more chaos. How many more posts like the one submitted
by the OP do you see coming? I see enough to make this forum always
on the defensive and to continuously compel supporters/founders to
contrive justifications. Not a great scenerio!

Which is why I see little point in fragmenting the rec.photo.digital
group in the first place; it seems to have served a small group of
fussy pigeonholing gearheads rather than the photographic community in
general. Unfortunately I wasn't around to cast my vote at the time.
But I've had my say now, so I'll just ignore the "what is a ZLR?"
threads, with all their silly haranguing, backbiting, and nitpicking,
and get on with learning how to use whatever this contraption is I'm
holding to artistic effect....

I thought the zlr group was a ridiculous idea, but I now see the
benefits in confining the users of them to this little ghetto. Even
the point and shoot people are probably glad to see the
point-and-shoot-with-pretensions (ie ZLR) people gone.

Everyone wins.

Old January 13th 05, 02:07 AM
J.S.Pitanga

[Bruce Murphy:]I thought the zlr group was a ridiculous idea,
but I now see the benefits in confining the users
of them to this little ghetto. Even the point and
shoot people are probably glad to see the
point-and-shoot-with-pretensions (ie ZLR) people
gone.

Many dSLR users also have one or more EVFs for those occasions requiring
more portability and less performance. Many point-and-shoot photographers
also use EVFs because of their usually longer zooms. The belief that
people are classified according to the gear they have is the mark of the
gear imbecile.

Everyone wins.

Even you have just won an adequate description.

The best,

Julio.