Hematite like surface for pastry photography

Old January 4th 05, 10:15 PM
Java script Dude

Default Hematite like surface for pastry photography

I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

Thanks,

Old January 5th 05, 12:40 AM
Lucrezia Herman

In message .com, Java
script Dude writes
I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

You could try asking for a sample tile from Armstrong or similar
supplier (see
http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...p?item_id=1810)
- here in the UK, when I asked for some samples, they were about 14
inches square. Only problem is, I think linoleum and ceramic tiles will
reflect too much of your flash. Maybe a length of fabric would be a
better bet.

-Lucrezia

--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm

Old January 5th 05, 01:06 AM
ZONED!

Java script Dude wrote:
I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at

least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

Thanks,

Would you mind posting the URL to the images you spoke of? I would
think that the size may be a bit small depending on angle and effect
desired.

Old January 5th 05, 04:33 AM
Crownfield

Java script Dude wrote:

I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

Thanks,

have you checked your local tile / stone shop?

Old January 5th 05, 11:05 AM
Charlie Self

Java script Dude asks:
I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

To quote a descriptionof hematite: "Hematite is rather variable in its
appearance - it can be in reddish brown, ocherous, masses, dark silvery-grey
scaled masses, silvery-grey crystals, and dark-grey masses, to name a few. What
they all have in common is a rust-red streak."

Charlie Self
"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to
the ground." H. L. Mencken

Old January 6th 05, 01:04 PM
Savidge4

I am now setting up a shoot of my family business's European style
sweets and chocolates. A couple of photo's I found on the net used a
Hematite like surface for cookie photo's. It created a very crisp
contrast without stealing the aesthetic of the subject.

[q] Has anybody seen ceramic tiles, or other surfaces that are at least
12" x 12" in size with a hematite or similar surface?

Have you tried your local home depot or the like? If you cant get the real
thing, you may even want to look at some of the formica samples and see if
tehre is anything close!
Old January 6th 05, 08:05 PM
RSD99

Good suggestion ... also talk to your local high-end counter top supplier.
Sink cutout scraps from "Granite Counter Tops" make GREAT background for
food and micro photography.