Original Nikon F lens compatibility with digital SLR cameras?

Old October 1st 04, 06:02 AM
Seth

Default Original Nikon F lens compatibility with digital SLR cameras?

Forgive me in advance as I'm rather inexperienced as a photographer...

I'm happy to say that my father has passed down his venerable Nikon F
camera (late 1960s) to me tonight, along with a whole bunch of
compatible lenses (telephoto, wide angle, etc.) All these years, my
father continues to be an incredible photographer and it certainly
meant a lot to me to pass down a bunch of his beloved equipment.

However, I'll be first to admit that I'm definitely of the computer
generation. I've been doing digital photography from the early years
(I still have my Sony DSC-F1, which was 640x480!), and I currently
quite a bit of design work with my Canon S300 (point and shoot) to
supplement my graphic design work. For years, I've craved a digital
SLR camera for more flexibility, but couldn't dream of owning all the
lenses.

So the question is this: Are there affordable SLR digital cameras out
there on the market that are compatible with all the wonderful lenses
that I just received? I believe that these lenses are not AF lenses,
and are from the early 1970s. I believe that they are 52mm. My
father and I have been under the impression that any digital SLRs
won't accept these original lenses. Are we wrong in this respect?

Thank you so much for your input in advance!

- Seth Diamond )
Old October 1st 04, 07:11 AM
Tony

I fthey have the "rabbit ears" you cannot mount them. If they do not they
simply will not meter. It is kinda pointless carting about a hand meter
considering the metering power in modern cameras you are foregoing simply to
use the old lenses.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

m...

Old October 1st 04, 07:55 AM
Dave Busch

On 30 Sep 2004 22:02:55 -0700, (Seth) wrote:

[...]

I use my 60s-70s lenses on my Nikon D70, along with extension tubes,
bellows PB-4, etc.

Your pre-1977 lenses will need conversion before they can be safely
used. After conversion, they'll have auto diaphragm operation, but
exposure and focus must be set manually.

John White does the conversions for an incredible bargain price of
$35. He has good information on compatiblity, etc..

He did my 55mm Micro-Nikkor, 85mm f1.8 and 105mm f2.5 first. I'll
probably send him my 200mm f4 next, maybe with a 35mm f1.4 or a 16mm
semi-fisheye, perhaps a couple other lenses after that.

Dust on the sensor is enough of a problem with dSLRs that I tend to
change lenses less often than with a film camera and rely on three DX
zooms instead most of the time.

http://www.aiconversions.com/index.html

Old October 1st 04, 01:08 PM
BobS

FWIW, here's another possibility that includes the metering chip.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

I've not tried this myself so would be interested in hearing any comments.

Cheers,
BobS

m...

Old October 1st 04, 02:14 PM
Ken Burns

If the lenses are pre-AI lenses, then they will be incompatible. If the
rear edge of the aperture ring protrudes rearward beyond the surface of the
mounting flange, then the lenses cannot even be mounted onto a digital SLR
body without damage.

KB

m...

Old October 2nd 04, 02:43 AM
Ken Scharf

Ken Burns wrote:
If the lenses are pre-AI lenses, then they will be incompatible. If the
rear edge of the aperture ring protrudes rearward beyond the surface of the
mounting flange, then the lenses cannot even be mounted onto a digital SLR
body without damage.

KB

At one time someone was converting pre-ai lenses by grinding down
part of the body to 'simulate' the ai coupling with the camera.
I've seen some of these converted lenses, and they do indeed work.
Nikon was performing this service for a few years after they converted
to ai, but now I don't know who does this anymore.

Also at one time Nikon's newer bodies would still work in manual focus
mode with at least one auto metering mode with the older ai lenses.
I think the F3 and F4 would at least offer spot metering.
What a shame they dropped even that compatibility! I think some of
those old ai lenses had better glass and more rugged bodies then the
newest breed of auto focus lenses. The 105mm F2.8 micro may have been
the sharpest nikor of it's type EVER made.

m...