Polarizer filter

Old March 21st 04, 11:09 PM
Zsolt

Default Polarizer filter

Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my camera. I have a Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera.
Right now, I'm about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide: linear or circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for older cameras, with digital you should use circular. In a digital camera how-to book I found that circular polarizer is a bad choice for a digital camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions?
Any suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the price range I'm planning to spend...
Thanks for any ideas,

Zsolt

Old March 22nd 04, 04:59 AM
Jerry Gitomer

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:09:43 +0000, Zsolt wrote:

Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my
camera. I have a Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera. Right now, I'm
about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide: linear or
circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for older
cameras, with digital you should use circular. In a digital camera
how-to book I found that circular polarizer is a bad choice for a
digital camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions? Any
suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the
price range I'm planning to spend... Thanks for any ideas,

Zsolt

Generally speaking autofocus cameras require circular polarizers.

HTH
Jerry
Old March 22nd 04, 02:16 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Zsolt wrote in :

Hello,

I'm a newby to photography and trying to buy some accessories to my
camera. I have a Minolta Dimage S414 digital camera. Right now, I'm
about to buy some polarizer filters. However, I can't decide: linear
or circular? Somewhere I read that linear polarizers are only for
older cameras, with digital you should use circular. In a digital
camera how-to book I found that circular polarizer is a bad choice for
a digital camera. Which is true?? Do you have any suggestions? Any
suggestions for brands? Right now I've found Tiffen and Hoya in the
price range I'm planning to spend... Thanks for any ideas,

The one to use is the one the manufacturer of your model recommends.
Check the manual.

I have never heard of any camera that could *not* use a circ pol when
it *could* use a lin pol - usually it's the other way around. Any camera
using a beam-splitter or a half-silvered (semi-pass) mirror is sensitive to
linear polarized light, and this applies to countless cameras on the market
today. Many use them for auto-focusing or exposure metering.

A circ pol, however, essentially passes non-polarized light, so there
is no interference with AF or metering. So it doesn't seem to make any
sense that a camera wouldn't be able to use this, if it can use a linear.

I suspect that the how-to book had it backwards - this is certainly
the first I've heard of it (which doesn't make it impossible). I would
definitely look for this info to be repeated anywhere else. And you can
look up circular polarizers numerous places on the web for a full
understanding of how they work.

Good luck!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old March 23rd 04, 03:20 PM
Zsolt

Al Denelsbeck wrote:

The one to use is the one the manufacturer of your model recommends.
Check the manual.

The manual doesn't suggest anything.

A circ pol, however, essentially passes non-polarized light, so there
is no interference with AF or metering. So it doesn't seem to make any
sense that a camera wouldn't be able to use this, if it can use a linear.

I suspect that the how-to book had it backwards - this is certainly
the first I've heard of it (which doesn't make it impossible). I would
definitely look for this info to be repeated anywhere else. And you can
look up circular polarizers numerous places on the web for a full
understanding of how they work.

The author was saying that circular polarizers create interference with
the mosaic filter of the CCD in the digital cameras, which later cannot
be removed from the pictures. But as you suggest, it really can be the
other way around.
Thanks, for the help:

Zsolt