Mongoose

Old April 6th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

Default Mongoose

Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found here
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Scott

Old April 6th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 10:11 pm, "Scott W" wrote:
Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found herehttp://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Scott

They are amazing animals. They are very welcome living outside your
home, as they kill snakes. They look like they belong to the weasel/
ferret family.
Helen

Old April 6th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Apr 5, 4:38 pm, wrote:
On Apr 5, 10:11 pm, "Scott W" wrote:

Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found herehttp://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Scott

They are amazing animals. They are very welcome living outside your
home, as they kill snakes. They look like they belong to the weasel/
ferret family.
Helen

But then we don't have any snakes here to kill. They brought them
here to kill the rats, but the rats are nocturnal and the mongoose are
not, so that did not work out so well. They are kind of cut in their
own way, but they can be a bit of a pest and they have done a lot of
damage to the bird population. All in all if we could rid the Islands
of them we would.

Scott

Old April 6th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Apr 5, 11:01 pm, "Scott W" wrote:
They are kind of cut in their
own way, but they can be a bit of a pest and they have done a lot of
damage to the bird population. All in all if we could rid the Islands
of them we would.

You guys just need a few red-tailed hawks. I know a few hawks that
would do some serious damage to that overgrown ferret.

Old April 6th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Apr 5, 5:16 pm, "Annika1980" wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:01 pm, "Scott W" wrote:

They are kind of cut in their
own way, but they can be a bit of a pest and they have done a lot of
damage to the bird population. All in all if we could rid the Islands
of them we would.

You guys just need a few red-tailed hawks. I know a few hawks that
would do some serious damage to that overgrown ferret.

No doubt, but then we would have the hawks to deal with, and who knows
what trouble they would cause.

Scott

Old April 6th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 10:11 pm, "Scott W" wrote:
Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found herehttp://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Scott

I can see your point Scott. Yes, they can certainly be a pest,
especially if they're killing birds. I have to agree with Bret. You
guys need some Red-Tailed Hawks. Owls eat rodents as well.
Helen

Old April 6th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:

Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found here
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Heh, that's actually a very good wildlife shot. Funny with the asphalt &
manhole. That lens sounds very useful... get yourself out in the wild
now, I'd love to see something in a little more natural setting.
Old April 6th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Apr 5, 6:20 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
Scott W wrote:
Well this might not be the best photo but just getting any kind of
decent photo of these guys is tricky. They are very fast very shy and
don't tend to hold still for long at all.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76718952/original

The photo shows what they look like when running, very low to the
ground and very long.

I am the Canon 300mm f/4 IS lens for this, have the lens for just
under a week now and so am still getting use to it, but so far I love
this lens.

A few more photos of him (her?) can be found here
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/mongoose

Heh, that's actually a very good wildlife shot. Funny with the asphalt &
manhole. That lens sounds very useful... get yourself out in the wild
now, I'd love to see something in a little more natural setting.

This were mostly taken at the beach, that is pretty natural.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/birds

Scott

Old April 6th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 4:38 pm, wrote:
On Apr 5, 10:11 pm, "Scott W" wrote:

[...]

Yes....And snakes kill mice and rats. So, the mongooses just exacerbate the
problem by getting rid of one of the few enemies the rats and mice
have....In general, it is very unwise to import an animal from one continent
to another....The ultimate results are almost invariably unpredictable.

Old April 6th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Scott W wrote:

[...]

Cool! I really like this one:
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76595124