Canon 24-85 lens

Old July 3rd 04, 05:06 PM
photographer

Default Canon 24-85 lens

I've just purchased the Canon 24-85 USM lens and I need a 67mm UV
filter.

Due to the front element extending rather a long way,I have been
warned to choose my filter with care to avoid damaging said element!

Does anyone know what filter I need,as going into a camera shop here
and asking for advice from someone who does not own such a lens,could
prove difficult!

Thanks in advance
Old July 4th 04, 12:49 AM
Joseph Meehan

photographer wrote:
I've just purchased the Canon 24-85 USM lens and I need a 67mm UV
filter.

Due to the front element extending rather a long way,I have been
warned to choose my filter with care to avoid damaging said element!

Was that advice from Canon? I find it hard to believe that a standard
filter would "damage" the lens. On the other hand some filters may cause
problems using the wide angle end of the lens. If that is so it would only
mean you need a thin mount filter.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old July 4th 04, 11:05 AM
photographer

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message ...
photographer wrote:
I've just purchased the Canon 24-85 USM lens and I need a 67mm UV
filter.

Due to the front element extending rather a long way,I have been
warned to choose my filter with care to avoid damaging said element!

Was that advice from Canon? I find it hard to believe that a standard
filter would "damage" the lens. On the other hand some filters may cause
problems using the wide angle end of the lens. If that is so it would only
mean you need a thin mount filter.

Does anyone know what filter I need,as going into a camera shop here
and asking for advice from someone who does not own such a lens,could
prove difficult!

Thanks in advance

The advice came from an internet search about the lens(no advice given
as to what filter to buy though!) and the main problem was that the
wrong filter can press against the front element and cause severe
damage.
Old July 4th 04, 11:20 AM
Joseph Meehan

photographer wrote:

The advice came from an internet search about the lens(no advice given
as to what filter to buy though!) and the main problem was that the
wrong filter can press against the front element and cause severe
damage.

I might suggest checking with Canon, but on the surface, it sounds like
an urban legend.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old July 4th 04, 07:49 PM
JIM

om...

photographer wrote:
[...]

Just don't believe everything you read in these internet groups. I have the
lens, have had a couple different brand filters (screw on types) mounted on
it with no problems.

Recommendation should have been for you to buy a quality filter, B+W,
Heliopan, etc., to help degrade your final image the least possible! I have
found that vignetting occurs if you use an incorrect hood, like the fairly
useless rubber jobs pushed by the mailorder joints.

Shoot'em up, filtered or not, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
you for it!!

Jim