How to Change colour of black and white photos

Old June 24th 04, 11:42 PM
Steve Andrew

Default How to Change colour of black and white photos

Alan Browne wrote:
Steve Andrew wrote:

Bugger - Typed in haste - I _knew_ I should have spill chucked it
:-)

Since the organization you refer to doesn't exist; and the one
you meant has nothing to do with defining/maintaining the metric
system, it is all fairly moot.

You are correct - As an electronics engineer for the past 30 years, I should
have known this. The Metre is an SI unit and is defined by Le Bureau
International des Poids et Mesures in France.

I could never work out why the International Organization for
Standardization (Their spelling, not mine) should use the initials ISO
instead of IOS.

In any case, usenet is for sharing and communication so critique
or even noting of people's spelling errors, typos and grammatical
errors is usually not good form, esp. as many posters are not
posting in their mother tongue.. Grammar so poor as to confuse
or obfuscate the message can be open season.

Again you are correct and I would normally refrain from correcting somebody
who may use English as a second language. Having said that, I do take
exception to Orville Wright stating that 'colour' is incorrect and that
'British English' is dead.

(The other day I wrote a curt letter to the Washington post.
They were commenting on Bill Clinton's new 957 page "tomb". I
would have loved to have your "spill chucker" line... and yes,
they did correct it (in the online edition) and sent me a terse
"It's corrected" e-mail).

Cheers,
Alan

Old June 24th 04, 11:42 PM
Steve Andrew

Alan Browne wrote:
Steve Andrew wrote:

Orville Wright wrote:

(n) wrote in message
. com...

I have a colour photo which i converted to black and white. I would
prefer it to be "moss and white" ie, green, or sepia or some other
colour.

How do i do this in photoshop?

It spelled "color", not "colour". British English is dead.

Hope this helps,

Orville

So America is right, and 53 other countries are wrong ?

While we are on the subject, perhaps somebody should point out that
'Metre' is a unit of meausre, whereas 'Meter' is a measuring
instrument. As far as I know, America is a memebr of the
International Standards Organistaion.

There is no such thing as "International Standards Organistaion
sic", you meant the International Organization for Standards.
"ISO" is not an acronym, it is a symbol.

Actually, I meant the 'International Organization for Standardization' -
Their spelling, not mine. :-)

Further, ISO does NOT maintain the metric system.

The metric system (Systeme Internationale d'Unités) is
"maintained" by Le Bureau International des Poids et Mesures in
Paris, not the OIS. The US, and 50 other countries in the world
are member states of the BIPM and support it n various ways
including participation by various US agencies in the CGPM's
(meetings every few years) various committees.

The US was one of the earliest signatories to the SI (1875).
(Surprise!). However, the US reserved the right to allow
merchants to continue the use of Imperial (and Imperial like)
measures for commerce. The US Armed Forces have been greatly
metricized for decades for scientific as well as NATO
interopperability reasons (the Army and Marines most so, the Air
Force and Navy less so).

The use of metric is, by US law, the preferred system:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/205b.html

Cheers,
Alan.

Old June 24th 04, 11:43 PM
Skip M

"TP" wrote in message
"Steve Andrew" wrote:
So America is right, and 53 other countries are wrong ?

While we are on the subject, perhaps somebody should point out that
'Metre' is a unit of meausre, whereas 'Meter' is a measuring
instrument. As far as I know, America is a memebr of the
International Standards Organistaion.

Do try and keep up...

Before somebody flames me - I have just spotted the typoe... It should be
'Organisation' ;-

Plus "memebr" should be "member".

And "typoe" should be "typo".

:-)

No doubt some Merkin will tell you that "Organisation"
should have the s replaced by a z.

;-)

As a "Merkin" (My fellow Merkins...old joke on LBJ) who insists on spelling
the neutral color between white and black as "grey" rather than "gray" as my
spell check insists, either way will be just fine...
;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 25th 04, 05:18 AM
Alex A.

haha no way

this is my "relaxation" typing technique. waaay too difficult to use that
pinky for the shift/caps keys.

and yes, i have NO idea what you mean, but i will google it

oh, look! capitals just for you :P

"Jim" wrote in message
"Alex A." wrote:

egads! well i stand corrected

No problem, and do take a seat. But also, try to work out
where the Caps key is.

e.e.cummings is out of fashion.

(Yes, I know, you have no idea what I mean...

[To email go to my address and take out the dog...]

Old June 25th 04, 09:29 AM
RFJ

Alan Browne wrote:

I could never work out why the International Organization for
Standardization (Their spelling, not mine) should use the initials ISO
instead of IOS.

Presumably it's easier to pronounce ISO than IOS - although Canon seem to
have no problem using a similarly spelt word for one of their products!

Old June 25th 04, 10:48 AM
Jose Marques

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Steve Andrew wrote:

I could never work out why the International Organization for
Standardization (Their spelling, not mine) should use the initials ISO
instead of IOS.

It may be a language issue. eg. NATO is OTAN in some european countries.

--
Jose Marques

Old June 25th 04, 12:34 PM
Espen Stranger Seland

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:42:30 GMT, Steve Andrew
wrote:

I could never work out why the International Organization for
Standardization (Their spelling, not mine) should use the initials ISO
instead of IOS.

From their own site http://www.iso.org/ :

"Because "International Organization for Standardization" would have
different abbreviations in different languages ("IOS" in English, "OIN" in
French for Organisation internationale de normalisation), it was decided
at the outset to use a word derived from the Greek isos, meaning "equal".
Therefore, whatever the country, whatever the language, the short form of
the organization's name is always ISO."

-espen

--
http://www.seland.org/photo/
Old June 25th 04, 05:14 PM
Alan Browne

Steve Andrew wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Steve Andrew wrote:

Bugger - Typed in haste - I _knew_ I should have spill chucked it
:-)

Since the organization you refer to doesn't exist; and the one
you meant has nothing to do with defining/maintaining the metric
system, it is all fairly moot.

You are correct - As an electronics engineer for the past 30 years, I should
have known this. The Metre is an SI unit and is defined by Le Bureau
International des Poids et Mesures in France.

I could never work out why the International Organization for
Standardization (Their spelling, not mine) should use the initials ISO
instead of IOS.

Iso, in Greek, means 'equal'. Standardization.
I do take
exception to the troll stating that 'colour' is incorrect and that
'British English' is dead.

I'm in Canada where 'colour' is the generally accepted spelling
(as is 'grey' v. 'gray', etc.); however the influence of the US
is very strong here in this communications age. It is ironically
worse here in Quebec as French Canadians are very strongly
influenced by the US...

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

How to Change colour of black and white photos Orville Wright Digital Photography 44 July 4th 04 11:51 PM
Black & White Winny Digital Photography 8 July 4th 04 01:50 AM
Updated Black and White Photo Gallery Jeff Alu Advanced Photography 0 February 11th 04 11:34 PM
Black and White Richard Film & Labs 8 December 14th 03 03:52 AM
Black & White film Andrew A. Caruso Film & Labs 8 October 13th 03 09:30 PM