Question on Canon Waterproof Case

Old June 27th 04, 07:17 PM
Ron Chusid

Default Question on Canon Waterproof Case

I have a Canon WP-DC300 waterproof case for the S50. I'm getting ready
for a trip, and cannot find the chemicals which were shipped with the
case--most likely lost while quickly unpacking from my last trip where
I used this.

One of the chemicals is a grease which is used to lubricate the rubber
seals. Anybody know what I might be able to pick up to replace this?
Obviously it needs to be something which will not harm the rubber.
Old June 27th 04, 08:18 PM
steve

A Google search for the wunderwater housing part number lead me to a
link that listed the parts list for the unit.

On that list was "Silicone Grease"

A Google search for Silicone Grease gave me a plethora of links, but one
looked promising:

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=200922-410

Even though this is for an Oly, it will likely work in your application.

Perhaps you can order some and get it before your trip?

Good Luck,

Steve

Old June 27th 04, 09:38 PM
Ron Chusid

I'm leaving Wednesday so it isn't safe to order on line, and I have
very little time to make it to stores Monday or Tuesday as I will
probably be working until after 9 pm both days to make it out of town.

Someone suggested Vasoline in an email message. I wonder how that
would work--at least I can get it at a drug store which would be open
around the clock.

Old June 27th 04, 10:32 PM
Matthew Endo

Ron Chusid wrote:

Someone suggested Vasoline in an email message. I wonder how that
would work--at least I can get it at a drug store which would be open
around the clock.

Do NOT use Vaseline, it is a petroleum based lubricant, and will cause
the O-ring to swell, stretch, shrink, crack, or other unpredictable
results.

Buy the grease that Canon sells, and that one ONLY.

Many various opinions have been offered, but it's _your_ camera housing
that's going to flood. Unless you have time for compatibilty testing,
do NOT use other grease which may or may not be silicone based.

Do NOT use aerosol based silicon sprays, the propellant can melt many
soft elastomers.

--
Matt

Old June 28th 04, 12:42 AM
steve

While Vaseline might work in the short term I would be quite concerned
that is may attack the gasket itself as it is a petroleum based product.

If you do use Vaseline (which I dont recommend) then be sure to replace
the gasket afterwards.

One thought -- if you are going to a vacation destination where there
are dive shops, try checking there to see if they have the silicone
based stuff. They may cater to the underwater photography crowd.

Steve

Old June 28th 04, 02:41 AM
Mike Brodbelt

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 06:32:27 +0900, Matthew Endo wrote:

Ron Chusid wrote:

Someone suggested Vasoline in an email message. I wonder how that would
work--at least I can get it at a drug store which would be open around
the clock.

Do NOT use Vaseline, it is a petroleum based lubricant, and will cause the
O-ring to swell, stretch, shrink, crack, or other unpredictable results.

Buy the grease that Canon sells, and that one ONLY.

You don't need to be quite that careful, but you do need to watch what you
buy. Have a look at this page:-

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/info/maint.html

HTH,

Mike.
Old June 28th 04, 03:18 AM
Brian C. Baird

In article , whaleshark@mouse-
potato.com says...
It probably was liquid silicone lubricant. It's used to keep rubber and
plastic seals from drying out. You can find it at most hardware stores,
or failing that, a pool supply.

Dow-Corning vacuum grease will work fine too.

It's probably the same stuff, just re-packaged for different uses. Dow-
Corning makes just about all the silicone products available.
Old June 28th 04, 03:39 AM
Ron Chusid

I did have some reservations regarding Vasoline which I why I
mentioned it to see if others also had similar reservations.

Another question is how important it really is to apply this every
time. I've only used the case once, and applied the lubricant. If I
use it one or two more times, I wonder if it would really matter if I
didn't use the lubricant, and then I could order some before the next
trip.

For the person who recommended only buying what Canon sells, the
manual does not say what to use, and I couldn't find any sign of Canon
actually selling anything. Unlike most camara accessories/supplies
provided by manufactueres, I don't think this grease had a Canon
label.

Unfortunately there will not be any scuba stores around where I'm
going.