straps

Old July 3rd 04, 06:33 PM
The DaveŠ

Default straps

For those of you who are prone to traipse around the town or
countryside searching for photo ops, do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

I'm asking because I find neck straps to be annoying as they seem to
always get in the way. Yet, once I was on a bridge and leaning over
the side, and had terrible thoughts about watching my camera drop into
the water if I dropped it. Thus, I'm thinking having a wrist strap
would be a good compromise. It would a a little insurance but not
nearly as much in the way.

--
How come nobody uses words like "nifty", "spiffy", and "keen" anymore?
Old July 3rd 04, 08:45 PM
Alan Browne

The DaveŠ wrote:

For those of you who are prone to traipse around the town or
countryside searching for photo ops, do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

I'm asking because I find neck straps to be annoying as they seem to
always get in the way. Yet, once I was on a bridge and leaning over
the side, and had terrible thoughts about watching my camera drop into
the water if I dropped it. Thus, I'm thinking having a wrist strap
would be a good compromise. It would a a little insurance but not
nearly as much in the way.

My camera is actually so well fitted to my hand and has a great
non slip immitation leather and right hand grip that I casually
let it hang from my fingers. But I do use the neckstrap most of
the time as some day fate will call. I have a wrist strap that
came with the vertical grip (like the kind you see on amateur
video cameras) but I haven't tried it. It's a thought for the
upcoming vacation... but the neckstrap will probably get the job.

Cheers,
Alan

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old July 3rd 04, 09:46 PM
Tony Spadaro

I use a wrist strap that keeps my right hand and the camera pretty much
glued together. FOr street (or other casual) shooting, you really only need
one hand in daylight.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old July 4th 04, 01:13 AM
Bandicoot

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
For those of you who are prone to traipse around the town or
countryside searching for photo ops, do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

I'm asking because I find neck straps to be annoying as they seem to
always get in the way. Yet, once I was on a bridge and leaning over
the side, and had terrible thoughts about watching my camera drop into
the water if I dropped it. Thus, I'm thinking having a wrist strap
would be a good compromise. It would a a little insurance but not
nearly as much in the way.

My main SLR bodies (Pentax LX and MZ-S) fit the hand so well I hardly need a
strap - much as Alan says. However, there are times...

Almost every body has the 'ends' of an OpTech strap fitted. Clipped
together these make a short strap that can be wound round a wrist, or with a
strap included (OpTech Pros Strap - really does make 'em feel lighter) I can
hang them round my neck or, more likely, on my shoulder. The two most used
LX bodies have 'ends' of different lengths fitted, so if both hang round my
neck or on my shoulder they hang one above the other and don't bang
together. The fact that the strap attachments on the LX bodies are
themselves 'quick release' helps here - even the 'ends' can easily be got
out of the way if I want.

This works very well for me. I also ease body selection by colour coding.
If I'm using lots of bodies I put a different coloured strap on each - a
Green one for Fuji, shades of red for Kodak, grey for B&W, etc. Well, it
works for me...

I also have strap ends on the two 'big glass' lenses that have strap
attachments. This works really well, as I can simply take any strap off the
camera and fit it to the lens instead: hence no 'duplicate' strap on the
camera dangling about and in the way, and no danger of lifting the 600mm
lens by the camera strap by mistake with whatever that might do to the
camera's lens mounting flange.

P&S and (small) range-finder type cameras are a different matter: easier to
lose, more likely to be used where theft is an issue, and less likely that
I'll want to hang them on my shoulder. So here I simply have an old
fashioned wrist 'lanyard'.

Peter

Old July 4th 04, 02:50 PM
Skip M

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
For those of you who are prone to traipse around the town or
countryside searching for photo ops, do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

I'm asking because I find neck straps to be annoying as they seem to
always get in the way. Yet, once I was on a bridge and leaning over
the side, and had terrible thoughts about watching my camera drop into
the water if I dropped it. Thus, I'm thinking having a wrist strap
would be a good compromise. It would a a little insurance but not
nearly as much in the way.

--
How come nobody uses words like "nifty", "spiffy", and "keen" anymore?

Actually, I wrap the neck strap around my wrist, more often than not.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 4th 04, 03:47 PM
MadHatter

I'm keen on the spiffy Tamrac Boomerang strap that I use. It's positively nifty.
Old July 4th 04, 04:12 PM
John Fryatt

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
For those of you who are prone to traipse around the town or
countryside searching for photo ops, do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

I'm asking because I find neck straps to be annoying as they seem to
always get in the way. Yet, once I was on a bridge and leaning over
the side, and had terrible thoughts about watching my camera drop into
the water if I dropped it. Thus, I'm thinking having a wrist strap
would be a good compromise. It would a a little insurance but not
nearly as much in the way.

I use the straps that come with the cameras, but quite often just wrap it
around my wrist just as a bit of insurance against dropping. I don't really
like the big straps like Optech etc. as they seem bulky and cumbersome.
I don't usually carry a camera hanging from my neck, as I find that awkward,
and the shape of my 35mm cameras (EOS-1n) is such that they are very easy to
carry in the hand.

John

Old July 5th 04, 08:09 PM
Barney

The DaveŠ wrote in :

do you keep a neckstrap on your
camera, a wrist strap, or nothing at all and just make sure you don't
drop it.

Interesting to note that most seem to like using a strap around the wrist.
I like having one around my neck. That way both my hands are free till I'm
ready to use the camera.

Barney
Old July 6th 04, 12:49 AM
ChrisPlatt

For handheld shots, a properly adjusted neckstrap can help steady your camera.

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-