50mm pictures with D300

Old January 21st 08, 07:57 PM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sosumi

Default 50mm pictures with D300

While I was waiting for my new zoom lens, I only had the 50mm left. So I
thought about something someone said someday: take pictures without a
zoomlens to learn composition.
So for all you boys and girls I hauled my camera around town and tried to
see....
I think there's absolutely some truth in this. You do feel that you have to
"create" instead of zooming.
If I was successful?
YouŽll be the judge and jury. Leave a comment and a rating, preferably with
an explanation.
http://nikon-box.com/

I did use some cool filters and tools from Nik softwa
Dfine, Nik Sharpener and Color Efex. Very nice stuff!

Questions? Just ask...

--
Sosumi

Old January 21st 08, 09:06 PM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:57:46 -0000, Sosumi wrote:

http://nikon-box.com/

If Nikon knew of this domain name I would certainly think they would
disapprove.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old January 22nd 08, 12:29 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kinon O'Cann

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message
Sosumi wrote:

While I was waiting for my new zoom lens, I only had the 50mm left.
So I thought about something someone said someday: take pictures
without a zoomlens to learn composition.
So for all you boys and girls I hauled my camera around town and
tried to see....
I think there's absolutely some truth in this. You do feel that you
have to "create" instead of zooming.

You got it! You did good. I love the old 50 and it is nice to be able to
get the results you want by zooming with your feet.

Zooming with your feet. Spoken like a true clueless imbecile.

Sorry, you can change your position, but you cannot zoom, oh fattest of
asses.

Old January 22nd 08, 12:59 AM posted to aus.photo, be.rec.photography, rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PixelPix

Sosumi wrote:

While I was waiting for my new zoom lens, I only had the 50mm left.
So I thought about something someone said someday: take pictures
without a zoomlens to learn composition.
So for all you boys and girls I hauled my camera around town and
tried to see....
I think there's absolutely some truth in this. You do feel that you
have to "create" instead of zooming.

You got it! *You did good. *I love the old 50 and it is nice to be able to
get the results you want by zooming with your feet.

Zooming with your feet. Spoken like a true clueless imbecile.

Sorry, you can change your position, but you cannot zoom, oh fattest of
asses.

I never bothered considering the statement until now and you are
right.... it is impossible to "zoom with your feet". Lens zooming
maintains perspective, while moving closer alters the perspective. So
you while each of the two methods are useful in their own right and
will maximise the use of the pixel count (as apposed to cropping),
they will not produce the same result and it comes down to the image
that the photographer wishes to create.
Old January 22nd 08, 02:22 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks

Sosumi wrote:

While I was waiting for my new zoom lens, I only had the 50mm left.
So I thought about something someone said someday: take pictures
without a zoomlens to learn composition.
So for all you boys and girls I hauled my camera around town and
tried to see....
I think there's absolutely some truth in this. You do feel that you
have to "create" instead of zooming.

You got it! You did good. I love the old 50 and it is nice to be able
to get the results you want by zooming with your feet.

Zooming with your feet. Spoken like a true clueless imbecile.

Sorry, you can change your position, but you cannot zoom, oh fattest of
asses.

When I read unsolicited insulence such as this, I almost think that
retroactive abortion can be justified.

Some people are just too lazy to zoom with their feet. They would rather
spend money, lots of it, and let technology create their art.

So Long,
Dudley

Old January 22nd 08, 02:44 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:

Some people are just too lazy to zoom with their feet.

People who suggest zooming with their feet should be introduced to the
nearest superhighway.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 22nd 08, 02:47 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

Sosumi wrote:

[...]

That childish response is actually correct. Moving with your feet is
*not* the same thing as zooming (changing focal length) because it
changes *perspective*, which zooming does not. It's why a "dolly zoom"
is not the same as lens zoom alone.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old January 22nd 08, 04:07 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:

Some people are just too lazy to zoom with their feet.

People who suggest zooming with their feet should be introduced to the
nearest superhighway.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Some people are just too dependant on a technilogical crutch.

Take Care,
Dudley
Beauty isn't always in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes, it can be found
in the mind as well.

Old January 22nd 08, 04:18 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks

Sosumi wrote:

[...]

Aw, but does every zoom lens maintain the same degree of depth of field,
perspective, etc?

I think not.

So, the only thing that is constant throughout a variety of zoom lenses is
that the area covered by the shot decreases and the objects in it become
larger.

For instance, are the effects produced by a 35mm to 80mm zoom exactly the
same as, let us say, a 100mm to 300mm zoom?

No, the shots from each would be much different, but the characteristical
magnification of the image is what is the goal.

So, why can't one "zoom" with one's feet?

Old January 22nd 08, 04:20 AM posted to aus.photo,be.rec.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 04:07:08 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote in MZdlj.36050$fj2.24929@edtnps82:

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
m...

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:

Some people are just too lazy to zoom with their feet.

People who suggest zooming with their feet should be introduced to the
nearest superhighway.

Some people are just too dependant on a technilogical crutch.

Zoom isn't a crutch -- it's a tool.

When I want long perspective, moving in isn't an option.

You do understand perspective, right?