Sensor dust Nikon D80

Old January 9th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nospam

Default Sensor dust Nikon D80

Hi,

just getting my head around digital SLRs.

As the D80 has a mechanical shutter, would this not prevent ant dust
getting onto the sensor while the lens is being changed.

or can the dust 'get' around the side of the shutter mechanism?

thanks

--
Nospam
Old January 9th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Nospam wrote:
Hi,

just getting my head around digital SLRs.

As the D80 has a mechanical shutter, would this not prevent ant dust
getting onto the sensor while the lens is being changed.

or can the dust 'get' around the side of the shutter mechanism?

The shutter remains open when the lens is removed.
Old January 9th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Paul
Furman wrote:

The shutter remains open when the lens is removed.

um, no it doesn't.

however, dust will eventually get on the sensor, at which point you
activate the mirror lock up mode (for cleaning, not shooting) and give
a blast of air from a rocket blower (*not* a pressurized can of air).
that should dislodge most instances of dust.
Old January 9th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

"nospam" wrote

................................................. ..

however, dust will eventually get on the sensor, at which point you
activate the mirror lock up mode (for cleaning, not shooting) and give
a blast of air from a rocket blower (*not* a pressurized can of air).
that should dislodge most instances of dust.

Been there, done exactly that and indeed it works like a charm.
One caveat though: the camera looks for a fully charged battery before going
into mirror-up mode.

Old January 9th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

nospam wrote:
In article , Paul
Furman wrote:

The shutter remains open when the lens is removed.

um, no it doesn't.

however, dust will eventually get on the sensor, at which point you
activate the mirror lock up mode (for cleaning, not shooting) and give
a blast of air from a rocket blower (*not* a pressurized can of air).
that should dislodge most instances of dust.

I guess so, anyways you can never see the shutter, it's behind the
mirror and when the whole mirror box gets dust in it, that flutters
around when the mirror flips. Perhaps a curtain in front that which
closed when removing a lens would help.
Old January 10th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article ,
Paul Furman wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , Paul
Furman wrote:

The shutter remains open when the lens is removed.

um, no it doesn't.

however, dust will eventually get on the sensor, at which point you
activate the mirror lock up mode (for cleaning, not shooting) and give
a blast of air from a rocket blower (*not* a pressurized can of air).
that should dislodge most instances of dust.

I guess so, anyways you can never see the shutter, it's behind the
mirror and when the whole mirror box gets dust in it, that flutters
around when the mirror flips. Perhaps a curtain in front that which
closed when removing a lens would help.

Best tip I've gotten so far with my D80 is: hold body pointing down
while changing lenses.

I'm already careful and try to avoid lens changes in dusty or windy
conditions, protect the lenses' rear elements while they're exposed,
etc.--I learned that stuff with film cameras--but the digital sensor
with its static charge situation makes me even more cautious. I also use
an aluminum case most of the time, as I found that (for me at least)
fabric or leather camera bags seem to be dust magnets.
--
"It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
Old January 10th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tully

In article ,
Jim Townsend wrote:

Tully wrote:

--but the digital sensor
with its static charge situation makes me even more cautious.

What static charge?

I can't quote you technical data like the number of coulombs per micron,
but I was told a sensor has a static attraction for dust that is greater
than a mirror does, and I believe it. Film moving through a camera
acquires a static charge, and it doesn't have voltage applied directly
to it.
Old January 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Paul Furman wrote:
Nospam wrote:
As the D80 has a mechanical shutter, would this not prevent ant dust
getting onto the sensor while the lens is being changed.

or can the dust 'get' around the side of the shutter mechanism?

The shutter remains open when the lens is removed.

Aehmm, no.
But the shutter opens when a picture is taken, if there was dust in the
mirror box from changing lenses, then this dust may get disturbed by the
mirror, pass the shutter, and get onto the sensor.

jue
Old January 10th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Jim Townsend wrote:
Tully wrote:

--but the digital sensor
with its static charge situation makes me even more cautious.

What static charge?

The sensor is a electronic device, and when energized
has a very significant static charge, which attracts
dust particles in the air close to it.

That is the primary reason cameras have a "mirror
lockup" menu option to allow sensor cleaning (while the
sensor is *not* energized) as opposed to just using the
"bulb" shutter speed setting to gain acesss (which
works, except the sensor is energized and makes it is
virtually impossible to remove all dust from the
sensor).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 10th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote

(snip)

That is the primary reason cameras have a "mirror
lockup" menu option to allow sensor cleaning (while the
sensor is *not* energized) as opposed to just using the
"bulb" shutter speed setting to gain acesss (which
works, except the sensor is energized and makes it is
virtually impossible to remove all dust from the
sensor).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Serendipity strikes again! There goes another question i had for some time
now!
Thanks.