Suitable PC

Old November 16th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Default Suitable PC

I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

Old November 16th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Bruce wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

I use a 1.5 GHz with 1.5 gig of ram... and my picture processing is slow..

Buy as better as you can..
Old November 16th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Bruce wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new
base unit and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM
etc for digital processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and
Elements 4.

Unlike multi-media/video/gaming/... photo processing doesn't put a major
load on the system(*), therefore any halfway decend computer will do just
fine, even if it's used and a few years old.

*: Exception being large batch jobs

jue

Old November 16th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 16 Nov, 14:59, "Bruce" wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

I would go for (at least) 1 Gb (for XP) or 2 Gb (for Vista) Ram and
the fastest processor (dual core) you can buy.

Doc
Old November 16th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
joea1

Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 16 Nov, 14:59, "Bruce" wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

I would go for (at least) 1 Gb (for XP) or 2 Gb (for Vista) Ram and
the fastest processor (dual core) you can buy.

Doc

I just bought a 2.4 GHZ quad core with 4 gig memory and a gforce
8600gts with 512mb on board . I stayed with XP pro .I tried vista
and did not like it.
It loads my raw Nikon NX files in a blink of eye and does batch
processing just as fast
it is so nice to not have to wait and wait

Just my $0.02 worth
joe
Old November 16th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Jürgen Exner wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new
base unit and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM
etc for digital processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and
Elements 4.

Unlike multi-media/video/gaming/... photo processing doesn't put a major
load on the system(*), therefore any halfway decend computer will do just
fine, even if it's used and a few years old.

*: Exception being large batch jobs

Gaming video cards don't really help but dedicated memory on the video
card can help and as much memory as the motherboard will fit (memory is
cheap now) and a fast hard drive.
Old November 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bruce wrote:

I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Tons of HD space.
Lots of RAM (2 or 4 GB sould be enough for now).
Backup strategy.
For RAW processing, lots of CPU power --- some RAW converters
(like Bibble) can use multi-cpus efficiently.
No Windows, certainly no Vistas.

-Wolfgang
Old November 16th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-11-16 06:59:48 -0800, "Bruce" said:

I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

iMac. 2 Gigabytes memory. The 2.0 Ghz processor is fine, but you can go
to 2.8. At least take a look at it.

http://walt.allthingsd.com/

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/

Walt Mossberg writes technology columns for the Wall Street Journal and
others. He mostly writes about Windows, but he also reviews Macs
extensively.

If you want to avoid the baloney coming from both Windows and Mac
users, Walt is not a bad place to start.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 16th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Tons of HD space.
Lots of RAM (2 or 4 GB sould be enough for now).
Backup strategy.
For RAW processing, lots of CPU power --- some RAW converters
(like Bibble) can use multi-cpus efficiently.
No Windows, certainly no Vistas.

PS You'd need vista ultimate 64 bit *and* a 64 bit capable processor to
use more than 3GB of ram.
Old November 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , joea1
wrote:

I just bought a 2.4 GHZ quad core with 4 gig memory and a gforce
8600gts with 512mb on board . I stayed with XP pro .I tried vista
and did not like it.
It loads my raw Nikon NX files in a blink of eye and does batch
processing just as fast
it is so nice to not have to wait and wait

Granted, Vista bites the big weiner. But you'd have liked a Mac much
better. :-)