Nikon D80

Old October 24th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
patricia

Default Nikon D80

Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm thinking of
getting 1 soon

regards

Old October 24th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

patricia wrote:
To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think

I am happy. Certainly not top of the line, but just as certainly not bottom
of the heap either. It does what I expect it to do and then some. So far no
complaints or problems.

i'm thinking of getting 1 soon

You may want to order the leather pouch, too. It really protects the camera
including attached 18-135.

jue

Old October 24th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lusus Naturae

"J?rgen Exner" wrote:
patricia wrote:
To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think

I am happy. Certainly not top of the line, but just as certainly not bottom
of the heap either. It does what I expect it to do and then some. So far no
complaints or problems.

I concur; I've had mine for about 9 months now and have yet to find any
areas that it completely fails at. I find the interface easy to read
quickly, the ergonomics comfortable, and the pictures crisp.

That said, my only negative observations are that it seems to overexpose
very slightly. This may be from my relative lack of skill, as it seems to
have improved now that I'll working purely in Manual mode. Also,
specifically with the 18-135 lens, low light is not your friend. IIRC it
only hits f4.5 at the best of times...

You may want to order the leather pouch, too. It really protects the camera
including attached 18-135.

Indeed, a good bag is essential, and I've just invested in a tripod
(unsteady hands + living in a place where the sun is a vague rumor in the
winter months = poor results).

Good luck,
Lusus Naturae

--
If they insist, those cannibals,
On making heroes of us,

Old October 24th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

patricia wrote:
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
thinking of getting 1 soon

regards

Would the 18 - 200mm with its longer reach and image stabilisation be a
better choice as a single walk-round lens?

David

Old October 24th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...
patricia wrote:
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
thinking of getting 1 soon

regards

Would the 18 - 200mm with its longer reach and image stabilisation be a
better choice as a single walk-round lens?

David

Probably but how much more are they?

Old October 24th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Pete D wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message .uk...
patricia wrote:
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
thinking of getting 1 soon

regards

Would the 18 - 200mm with its longer reach and image stabilisation
be a better choice as a single walk-round lens?

David

Probably but how much more are they?

You should ask your local supplier or Internet retailer!

Pixmania:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/camera-len...k1_433_pm.html

18 - 200 GBP 505
18 - 135 not listed

David

Old October 24th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

David J Taylor wrote:
patricia wrote:
To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
thinking of getting 1 soon

Would the 18 - 200mm with its longer reach and image stabilisation be
a better choice as a single walk-round lens?

If you don't mind the almost 50% more weight and more than double the price
tag.
Besides, I am always skeptical about those super-zooms with a zoom factor of
11 and http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/250/cat/13
seems to agree:
"An old expression says that there's never a free lunch, and this is
especially true with lenses. In the case of the Nikon 18-200, the tradeoffs
are somewhat soft corners at maximum aperture and medium focal lengths and
somewhat high geometric distortion across a range of focal lengths."

On the other hand as you pointed out you are getting the VR and longer
reach...

jue

Old October 24th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

David J Taylor wrote:
Pete D wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
Would the 18 - 200mm with its longer reach and image stabilisation

Probably but how much more are they?

Street price more than double.

jue

Old October 24th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
steve

"patricia" wrote in message
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm thinking of
getting 1 soon

regards

I am really happy with it and hopefully won't buy anything more for 4 or
more years, except maybe some extra lens.

Old October 24th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sheepdog 2007

On 2007-10-24 05:26:25 -0700, "Jürgen Exner" said:

David J Taylor wrote:
patricia wrote:
[...]

Anyone trying to "do everything" with a single lens seems quite
satisfied with the 18-200. I've always agreed with the "no free lunch"
school; in fact it took a lot of convincing for me to move away from a
big collection of primes (with its corollary, mounting a different lens
every few frames).

I'm impressed with the zoom lenses that have come out in the last few
years. I love my three-zoom combo for D80's: 12-24, 24-85 and 70-300VR.
I just sold my 105 micro because I'm so satisfied with the pix I get at
90-120 mm with the VR tele--I got it as a refurb for under USD$500.

Another great (higher-quality) kit would be the 10.5, 17-35/2.8 and
80-200/2.8; perfect for someone planning to buy a full-frame in the
next couple of years, especially since you could fill in the gaps with
some classic manual primes for very little money.
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic