Memory Card

Old December 4th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default Memory Card

I am considering some new memory cards and wanted some opinions on brands.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and use Sandisk Ultra II CF now, but have seen
other brands at better prices. I want a couple of 512's and maybe a couple
of 256's. I try not to put all my pictures on the same card, just in case
there is a problem with it.

Old December 5th 05, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

In article , Bill H.
wrote:

I am considering some new memory cards and wanted some opinions on brands.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and use Sandisk Ultra II CF now, but have seen
other brands at better prices. I want a couple of 512's and maybe a couple
of 256's. I try not to put all my pictures on the same card, just in case
there is a problem with it.

I use Lexar exclusively and have not had any problems with them.
Old December 5th 05, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Bill H. wrote:

I am considering some new memory cards and wanted some opinions on brands.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and use Sandisk Ultra II CF now, but have seen
other brands at better prices. I want a couple of 512's and maybe a couple
of 256's. I try not to put all my pictures on the same card, just in case
there is a problem with it.

Sandisk or Lexar. If the Kingston cards are as good as Kingston memory,
them too.

I use 2GB and 1GB cards, raw files are about 17MB, so I can get 100 on
the 2GB card; ~ 90 on the 1GB cards.

The 2GB cards are Sandisk & cost me about $150 USD early in 2005.

The 1GB cards are a mix of Lexar 40x & 80x cards and again cost about
$150 USD when I bought them.

I bought the Sandisk because they didn't have a Lexar 2GB in stock at
the time.
Old December 10th 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

The original Digital Rebel (I have one) doesn't write very fast. I don't know the exact specs, but it seemed to me that I read somewhere that anything more than 20x or 2mb/sec was wasted on this particular camera. I think that's USB 1.1 speed or a bit faster.

I think this is one of the improvements on the Rebel XT.

Anyone have the real facts?

dave

Old December 10th 05, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Bill H writes ...

I am considering some new memory cards and wanted some opinions on brands.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and use Sandisk Ultra II CF now, but have seen
other brands at better prices.

The advantage of buying Lexar Pro and Sandisk Ultra and Extreme cards
is that they are typically faster than the competition and they come
with life-time warranties (if they fail the companies will do a data
recovery and send you a new card). So I stick with those brands
myself.

I see that the Rebel is excruciatingly slow with any card you put in it
so it probably matters less with this camera than with others, but
probably you'll still have the cards when you get a newer, faster
camera. Here is a link to speeds with actual cards ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

Bill

Old December 10th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

dave writes ...

The original Digital Rebel (I have one) doesn't write very fast. I don't know the exact specs ... I think this is one of the improvements on the Rebel XT.
Anyone have the real facts?

About 400% faster, depending on RAW vs jpeg and the card used ...

Rebel ... http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425
Rebel XT ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

Bill

Old December 11th 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

"Bill H." wrote in message
I am considering some new memory cards and wanted some opinions on brands.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel and use Sandisk Ultra II CF now, but have seen
other brands at better prices. I want a couple of 512's and maybe a couple
of 256's. I try not to put all my pictures on the same card, just in case
there is a problem with it.

I purchased a Kingston 1Gig CF 50X card and it is fast enough and hasn't let
me down yet. Ebay had them for $AUD73 or so, and in the stores they were
over $AUD140 last I checked.