Elementary questions on film handling.

Old November 7th 05, 06:11 AM
Dieter Zakas

Default Elementary questions on film handling.

In article , Liopleurodon at
wrote on 11/5/05 5:27:

To all,

Many thanks for all your replies, been informative reading them all.

My main reasons for using a bulk film loader a
The ease of opening the cassettes and extracting the film for the developing
tank. I've read and looked and knowing how I best deal with things, I know
I'll waste more film practicing opening a commercial canister and extracting
the film off the spool, then if I already know how it's attached and so on
with a bulk film loaded canister. Summary- If it's something I've already
put together, it'll be easier for me to take apart in the dark.

When first developing film, I can use 10 or 15 exposure lengths, using less
film than a 24 or 36 commercial can, as I learn the best develop, stop, fix
times etc.

My main concern regarding fingerprints as been allayed now, I initially
thought the film had to manually pushed onto the spiral all the way by hand,
I now see that once the end has been inserted, you just twist the reel ends
back and forth and it drags the rest of the film in itself.

I'll pop into a couple of local shops later and see about obtaining some
cheap out of date film to practice with.

Once again, many thanks to all who took the time to reply, much appreciated.

As one respondent suggested, wash your hands before handling the film.

In addition, you could also buy some cotton gloves, either locally or
through mail order, like B&H (
http://www.bhphotovideo.com), as an additional
precaution, though merely washing one's hands and exercising care will
suffice. And, as others have noted, with practice you'll be able to deftly
load it onto the developing reel.

Dieter Zakas
--
Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your
better is best. (Billy Cox)

Old November 8th 05, 03:40 PM
Andrew Koenig

"Liopleurodon" wrote in message

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face? Obviously handling on the edges would be better, but in
complete darkness with my clumsy fingers, I can imagine when loading the
developing reel I'm gonna grab the film face at least once.Would this ruin
that patch, or is it ok as long as the touch is light?

If you use Kindermann stainless-steel reels, they make a quick-loader that
makes loading nearly foolproof. I strongly suggest that you try to find
one.

Old December 8th 05, 06:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Andrew Koenig" wrote:

"Liopleurodon" wrote in message

When handling the film, how important is it to keep your fingers off the
actual film face? Obviously handling on the edges would be better, but in
complete darkness with my clumsy fingers, I can imagine when loading the
developing reel I'm gonna grab the film face at least once.Would this ruin
that patch, or is it ok as long as the touch is light?

If you use Kindermann stainless-steel reels, they make a quick-loader that
makes loading nearly foolproof. I strongly suggest that you try to find
one.

Depends on how dirty your fingers are. The dirtier the fingers, the more
you will affect the film. It depends on which side you are touching, the
emulsion, or the other side. You can scratch the emulsion side much
easier than hurting the other side. Fortunately the emulsion side curls
in, so it's not the one you are most likely to touch. Be careful, and
don't worry about it.

Jim