Looks Like a Cool Trip

Old January 5th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Smithee[_2_]

Default Looks Like a Cool Trip

Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

Not sure about the "Polar Plunge" part though!
Old January 6th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_10_]

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

Not sure about the "Polar Plunge" part though!

Well that's a site to hold you captive!
Thanks for the link.

Douglas

Old January 6th 09, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Smithee[_2_]

"D-Mac" wrote in message

Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

Not sure about the "Polar Plunge" part though!

Well that's a site to hold you captive!
Thanks for the link.

The iceberg is pretty awesome.

Michael Reichmann from Luminous Landscape has been testing the D3X, 5D II
and A900 out there, so I would imaging that a few more images will turn up
on his site soon.

Old January 6th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"D-Mac" wrote in message ...

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message ...

Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

Not sure about the "Polar Plunge" part though!

Well that's a site to hold you captive!
Thanks for the link.

Douglas

Great site!
But that "Polar Plunge", brrrr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!!!
And that 54 degree rolling of the ship, oh
b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-r-r-r-r-r-f-f-f!!!!!!!!!!
8^)
--DR

Old January 6th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_10_]

"David Ruether" wrote in message

"D-Mac" wrote in message

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message

Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

Not sure about the "Polar Plunge" part though!

Well that's a site to hold you captive!
Thanks for the link.

Douglas

Great site!
But that "Polar Plunge", brrrr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!!!
And that 54 degree rolling of the ship, oh
b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-r-r-r-r-r-f-f-f!!!!!!!!!!
8^)
--DR

I was on an ice breaker once. They roll like a log. Terrible if you're at
all weak in the stomach. Living in paradise as I do, water temp under body
tem is bloody cold! I doubt I could shed my gear for that one.

I wouldn't have gone much on the tucker either, judging by the shots of it
buy hey... Did you see the name on the certificate? Some impressive company
to be in for sure.

Old January 6th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:37:10 -0000, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

Looks like a cool trip (quite literally):
http://photoshopnews.com/feature-sto...ca-expedition/

There are some really great shots in there. And a lot of people
having fun!

I was Ushuaia in 2006 while traveling around South America and saw
these ships leaving for Antarctica. Well, I felt I just had to go!

Researched this in 2007 and read articles on this 2005 trip at
Michael Reichmann's Luminous Landscape site:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...tarctica.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...napshots.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/wo...mbers-05.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...-archive.shtml

And armed with tips from this and other NGs, I went in Dec 2007. It
was a great trip, everyone having fun and enjoying themselves.

Yes, it was cold, but with my Berghaus jacket and the famous Quark
Expeditions yellow jacket I was well protected!

I would love to go again, but I also want to see other places. So not
sure what I'm doing this year! Thanks for that link, brought back
some memories for me.

These links below are for my Antarctica photos...both links show the
same set of photos, take your pick!

This site uses Adobe/Macromedia Flash and can resize images and use
fullscreen mode:
http://www.ninjatrek.com/?openfolder=Antarctica

This site works in all browsers and doesn't do anything too fancy:
http://www.metalvortex.com/myphotos/antarctica/
--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.metalvortex.com
Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
Old January 8th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Smithee[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Nice. You've certainly travelled a lot. Shame about Rio.

Old January 8th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_4_]

"Alan Smithee" wrote in
:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/lo...5-snapshots.sh
[...]

$14,000 for a single to go photograph penguins and icebergs? Pass.
Old January 8th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:55:36 -0000, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

[snip]
Nice. You've certainly travelled a lot. Shame about Rio.

Thanks. I like to get about.

Yes, Rio was an experience. I'd almost forgotten about it.

I remember that when I got back to my hotel (just off Copacabana
Beach) I had blood stains all over me and just looked a real mess;
the hotel staff reported to the police that I had been mugged (I
didn't know that they had done this). I swear, it must have been no
more than 20 minutes later that the police came round and said that
they had arrested four guys and that they wanted me to identify them.
So we walked one block and there were the guys lying flat on their
stomachs with guns pointed at them. I then spend the rest of the
night writing a witness statement in the police station.

I caught my plane back to London the next day; in a way it was OK
that it happened at the end of my trip. The muggers took my watch,
airline tickets, all my cash, smashed my specs, etc. But my passport
was in my belt pouch, and my camera was in my hand. I gripped onto
both items with all my might and resisted their attacks. There was
absolutely NO WAY that they were getting my camera and passport. I
suffered a bit for it but luckily for me they didn't have knives or
guns.

So yes, I considered it an experience. And getting mugged in Rio is a
high probability event based on discussions I've had with others that
have been there.

Rio has great beaches and stuff, but there are also a lot of very
poor people there, some desperate. I don't condone their criminal
activities but I can see how it can happen.

Anyway, I saved my camera and all the photos that I had taken and I
was very pleased with those photos...I just wished that I had taken
more in Colombia.

Old January 9th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_9_]

RichA wrote:
[]
$14,000 for a single to go photograph penguins and icebergs? Pass.

Certain things have a value expressed in other than monetary terms, RichA!

David