Capture NX is Painfully Slow

Old August 9th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

Default Capture NX is Painfully Slow

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my
D3 is painfully slow. (I suspect that this is, in
part, because it is based on .net .) Can anyone
suggest an alternative with at least comparable
capability to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon
provide a better software product?

Mike.
Old August 9th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RobertJM[_3_]

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my
D3 is painfully slow. (I suspect that this is, in
part, because it is based on .net .) Can anyone
suggest an alternative with at least comparable
capability to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon
provide a better software product?

Mike.

I was watching some beginner photography videos online today,
and as it happens they mentioned this free software
http://www.rawtherapee.com/
I just downloaded it today so haven't used it myself yet.
I haven't used NX either so don't know how comparable they are

--
Rob

Old August 10th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
bino

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my
D3 is painfully slow. (I suspect that this is, in
part, because it is based on .net .) Can anyone
suggest an alternative with at least comparable
capability to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon
provide a better software product?

Mike.

Capture One Pro. Fast as can be, slick as snot, and highly effective. My
only complaint is I can't choose my color profile--it's Adobe RGB or the
highway.

Old August 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 19:26:55 -0400, bino wrote:

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability
to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software
product?

Mike.

Capture One Pro. Fast as can be, slick as snot, and highly effective.
My only complaint is I can't choose my color profile--it's Adobe RGB or
the highway.

I took a quick look at the web site. I see that the Pro version is for
a high volume operation, and cost 600 USD. They have a cheaper version,
about 130 USD, for low volume. I am an advanced amateur with low volume.
I like processing flexibility, but I don't like to wait long times for
a data manipulations that should take at most, a few seconds. Do you
think the cheaper version would be good?

Mike.
Old August 10th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:40:08 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability
to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software
product?

Download NX2 and it should be flying for ya. If you are using a dual
proc system it will be amazingly fast.

Rita

I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.
Old August 10th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
trouble

NX will run fine on an XP/Vista system that is of reasonably modern vintage
with 2 gbs ram.
If you are using Win XP I suspect you have an older machine and it may be
underpowered.
If it cannot run NX it will not run any other modern image processing
program at reasonable speed.
If you can afford a D3 I suspect you can invest the $500 or so it would take
to get a box with XP or Vista that will run NX and other image processing
products fine.
However if you want to future proof you need to invest a bit more and may
want to try the 64 bit version of Vista as Adobe is rumored to be working on
a 64 bit, presumably multi-threaded, version of Photoshop: the 64bit OS
would theoretically allow access to much more ram for those giant raw files
the D3 can produce.

Old August 10th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability
to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software
product?

Download NX2 and it should be flying for ya. If you are using a dual
proc system it will be amazingly fast.

Rita

I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

Do you really expect the latest software to work perfectly on an old
operating system?

Next thing you'll want automatic transmission and power steering in your
Model-T Ford.

Old August 10th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:41:01 -0700, trouble wrote:

NX will run fine on an XP/Vista system that is of reasonably modern
vintage with 2 gbs ram.
If you are using Win XP I suspect you have an older machine and it may
be underpowered.
If it cannot run NX it will not run any other modern image processing
program at reasonable speed.

[...]

I have 1G ram with a 1.299 GHZ AMD processor. Not enough, huh?
Mike.
Old August 10th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:41:01 -0700, trouble wrote:

NX will run fine on an XP/Vista system that is of reasonably modern
vintage with 2 gbs ram.
If you are using Win XP I suspect you have an older machine and it may
be underpowered.
If it cannot run NX it will not run any other modern image processing
program at reasonable speed.

[...]

I have 1G ram with a 1.299 GHZ AMD processor. Not enough, huh?
Mike.

Using NX 1.3.4 on Vist 32 with 4GB RAM

Open program
Working set 97MB

Open one NEF from D80 with no prior NX changes
Working set 490MB

Open another similar file without closing first file
Working set 693MB

Make a few standard adjustments to one of the files
Working set 942MB

Old August 10th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
[]
I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

You could, perhaps, run a VMware virtual machine under Windows 2000 and
install XP on it.

David