[SI] U photos are Up.

Old February 14th 12, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

Default [SI] U photos are Up.

On 2012-02-14 06:14:38 +0000, Charles E. Hardwidge said:

tony cooper wrote:

I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
like he's talking about cropping.

Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus there's
the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
etcetera could be within the scene.

I find it fascinating that people "see" very differently. MG's shot
intrigued me because:

The red provides one dominant primary colour.

The edge of the table divides the picture horizontally: the right
contains mostly circular items of increasing size - the table being the
largest circle.

The left half is nicely out of focus. Tools are obviously required to
dismantle a watch, but hey, they are the wrong tools!

Hence the title "Untimely"

Before I read your caption, my U-connection thought was "Unsuitable".

The best jokes are often ones that take a few moments to figure out,
but run the risk that some will never "get it".

Old February 14th 12, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E. Hardwidge[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:14:38 -0000, "Charles E. Hardwidge"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
. ..

I also had trouble with MG's photo, but he's since posted and cleared
that up. About the photo itself, the watch components alone would
have made a better image. Lose the tools to the left. Nice, sharp
close-up of the watchworks. Good to see a new name.

Heh. Tony is talking about "cropping" again while trying to avoid looking
like he's talking about cropping.

Cropping *can* work but can make a photo become someone else's plus
there's the other issue that an entirely different composition/arrangement
etcetera could be within the scene.

We call it "cropping" when it is done to an image that has already
been shot. We call it "composition" when the shot is framed
in-camera. Cropping is just composition after the fact.

You wouldn't be going all Sisker over this cropping biz would you?

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Old February 15th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 2012-02-12 15:07:24 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_u

I am happy to see that the SI hasn't quite faded into oblivion and still
has an element of fun to it.
Thanks to all who played.

Now on to my comments before I head to the dentist and another new
experience, an implant.

Pete Attkins:
Nice nighttime street shot, but like Tony, I struggled to find a "U"
association.

Reminds me of downtown Savannah, well done, but I too miss the U connection.

Tim Conway:
Yup! The end result of human consumption, "Ugly"!

Also, utilitarianly useful.

Jessica Stevens, welcome to this little zoo:
Umbrellas were not unexpected for this mandate, but you have presented
some unique examples. Personally I liked your first shot of the three as
it evoked the giant garden the oversized daisy promised.

I like the graphical composition of the umbrellas, in the first two
shots. My personal taste would prefer more saturated colors. Nicely done
though.

Eric Stevens (I assume this is our NZ Eric):
#1: If those are your underwear much is explained. ;-)
#2: I get the "underpass" but you seem to have metered on the sky above
the bridge, leaving the lower potion of your image in shade and tough to
define. Perhaps an ND Grad for the sky and metering below the bridge
might have worked better. Even HDR might have been interesting.
#3: You have creeks in NZ?

Eric, did you set the underwear up?

Bowser:
#1: Nice! I like the color, and the repetition down the deck, or pier.
#2: Great! The unicycle capture is the pick of this crop. What is there
to say, but good work and great luck to be there at the right moment,
prepared to take the shot.
#3: OK! I get it, but did Phydeaux really enjoy this modeling job?

Yours truly:
#1: The udder is obvious, but it is probably one of my worst results in
recent memory.After I got out of my car to leisurely take my shots of
the bucolic scene, the cattle standing near the fence, took one look at
me, turned and retreated. This left me fumbling to get at least one or
two udder shots as they swayed away from me at a fair clip. It seems I
held no appeal to this particular group of ladies. ;-)
#2: Just an uncoupled freight car in a siding.
#3: ...and a ewe fo U.

Udderly silly. You can get dual use with a T mandate.

# 2 I like it as an interesting shot. By itself it tells a story.

#3 my comment at the connection to the theme: eeeeyou. ;-)

Tony Cooper:
#1: Now that is a bust!
#2: Truly a unique capture, which raises the question; Are you going to
the dogs?
#3: Nice and clean. I really like that shot of the Model "A" dash. I
love the speedo and fuel gauge. I am not sure that the ammeter is
original, I would like to believe the restorer sought out the closest
facsimile.
#4: Underwater, not unexpected from you, but I would have thought in
your case the camera would have been underwater.

I have noting to add

Alan Browne:
#1 & #2: I like both of your umbrela shots, both have an imaginative
angle to them.

the angels are good strong composition. but, again, I prefer more
saturated colors for shots like that. YMMV

#3: Your utensils have some lighting an DoF issues even at F/7.1

Peter Newman:
#1: Clever!

Although it was Photoshopped, my inspiration came from seeing them in a
similar position, on Sanibel.

#2: Actually not so ugly, I think it is a great shot. The textures
punctuated with that eye are just perfect.

So part of ugly is beauty?

Thanks, for your comments

MG:
#1: Technically a nice enough shot, but the tools on the left are
distracting.

I disagree. Once the watch works, the tools become a blurry background.
I like the concept.

...and only with your title post was it possible to make the "U"
association.

All in all a fair turnout.

Paul furman.

By using a W we give u credit for two images.

--
Peter
Old February 15th 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:52:16 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

Eric, did you set the underwear up?

The problem was finding a place free of a tree back ground. I rigged a
temporary line in the same place as U_Jessica_Stevens_3.jpg and shot
from about ankle level. The side of the garments closest to the camera
were in the shade and I had to use a flash for fill-in. It took a
number of trials and much fiddling in the computer to get it right.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 17th 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

wrote:

Eric, did you set the underwear up?

The problem was finding a place free of a tree back ground. I rigged a
temporary line in the same place as U_Jessica_Stevens_3.jpg and shot
from about ankle level. The side of the garments closest to the camera
were in the shade and I had to use a flash for fill-in. It took a
number of trials and much fiddling in the computer to get it right.

Looks like you got it right

--
Peter
Old February 17th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

PeterN wrote:
Paul furman.

By using a W we give u credit for two images.

Yeah I mixed up the mandate but 'Up' works as a title too grin.