Capture NX is Painfully Slow

Old August 10th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

Default Capture NX is Painfully Slow

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
[]
I have 1G ram with a 1.299 GHZ AMD processor. Not enough, huh?
Mike.

I would prefer 2-3GB of memory. Check the costs of expanding your
machine. But in all honesty, today's multi-core processors will produce a
much more satisfying experience, and a new PC can be really cheap - you
probably don't need a fancy 3D graphics card just for photo work. You can
set the OS to use the Windws 2000 interface if you prefer. Even good
portables are now coming in at less than the price of a good lens (i.e
300-400 GBP, US $600-800).

David

Old August 10th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message om...
Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
[]
I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

You could, perhaps, run a VMware virtual machine under Windows 2000 and
install XP on it.

David

On a 1GB RAM system the VM won't be able to get enough RAM.

Old August 10th 08, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

N wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message om...
Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:
[]
I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

You could, perhaps, run a VMware virtual machine under Windows 2000
and install XP on it.

David

On a 1GB RAM system the VM won't be able to get enough RAM.

Agreed. I've used it on 1.25GB and it was rather slow. When I wrote my
reply I was unaware of the amount of available memory.

David

Old August 10th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
gpaleo

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote
m...

Download NX2 and it should be flying for ya. If you are using a dual proc
system it will be amazingly fast.

Oh c'mon Rita. Stop joking for once. NX2 is slow as well, perhaps the
slowest of its kind.

Old August 10th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RobertJM[_3_]

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:40:08 -0400, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability
to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software
product?

Download NX2 and it should be flying for ya. If you are using a dual
proc system it will be amazingly fast.

Rita

I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

Rawtherapee says for XP or 2k.

--
Rob

Old August 10th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:23:27 -0400, me wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 21:28:28 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Mike
-- Email Ignored wrote:

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability to
deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software product?

Not sure you can blame it on .NET, as v4 prior to NX wasn't exactly a
speed demon either. I used RawShooterEssentials for a couple years for
my D70/D200 and loved the workflow. Needed to move to something similar
which supported the D300 and after trying CaptureOne and BibblePro,
chose Bibble. Support in regard to questions posed to PhaseOne came back
as if some 14 teen was texting off a phone. BibblePro also incorporates
Noise Ninja and PTLens. Take a look at http://www.bibblelabs.com

Please see my new thread on Bibble.

Mike.

Old August 11th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-08-09 18:14:26 -0700, Mike -- Email Ignored

Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

The Nikon Capture NX is software I received with my D3 is painfully
slow. (I suspect that this is, in part, because it is based on .net .)
Can anyone suggest an alternative with at least comparable capability
to deal with .nef files? Might Nikon provide a better software
product?

Download NX2 and it should be flying for ya. If you are using a dual
proc system it will be amazingly fast.

Rita

I see that NX2 requires WinXP (as does Capture One Pro). Does this
mean that I am finally going to be forced to abandon Win2K?

Mike.

Yep. I am surprised that NX runs on it even.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 28th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

trouble wrote:
However if you want to future proof you need to invest a bit more and
may want to try the 64 bit version of Vista as Adobe is rumored to be
working on a 64 bit, presumably multi-threaded, version of Photoshop:
the 64bit OS would theoretically allow access to much more ram for those
giant raw files the D3 can produce.

Hmm. CS3 memory loaded D3 raw : about 73 MB

Memory loaded Nikon 9000 scan of 6x6: 470 MB.

WinXP addressable space (less h/w and quirks): 3.300 MB (approx)

Eg: it is no issue.

Just _what_ are you driving at with these odd posts?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.