Suitable PC

Old November 16th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Haar

Default Suitable PC

On 11/16/07 9:59 AM, "Bruce" wrote:

I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Either a iMac or a Mac Pro. Don't spend money on extra CPU speed. Memory is
more important. I'd go with at least 2 GN of RAM.

Old November 17th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Doe

P-4 / 3ghz+ CPU
2gb RAM
200-300gb HD
Seperate graphics card- look for one optimised for video rather than
gaming and make sure it has dedicated RAM
Large Monitor- either tube or flat panel - just take the time to
calibrate it correctly
WinXP Pro
Photo editing program of your choice

Best,

Ross

Bruce wrote:
I know this isn't about DSLR exactley, but I'm about to buy a new base unit
and was wondering what would be the best processor & RAM etc for digital
processing. I use Nikon D80, with Nikon NX and Elements 4.

Bruce

Old November 17th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
gpaleo

Ï "Mr. Strat" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

In article , joea1
wrote:

I just bought a 2.4 GHZ quad core with 4 gig memory

Which (4 Gig) XP cannot see (nor Vista 32 for that matter)
Have to go to 64 bit systems to see the RAM.

Old November 17th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 17 Nov, 10:48, "gpaleo" wrote:
Ï "Mr. Strat" Ýãñáøå óôï . com...

In article , joea1
wrote:

I just bought a 2.4 GHZ quad core with 4 gig memory

Which (4 Gig) XP cannot see (nor Vista 32 for that matter)
Have to go to 64 bit systems to see the RAM.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx

doc
Old November 17th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Thank to you all for your advice. I ended up with the following setup.

Pentium (R) 3.40 Ghz processor (FSB 800) , 2 Gb RAM, GeForce Digital PCX
5750 graphics card and two HD 100 Gb for the software and 200Gb for backing
up the photos. It seems pretty quick.

Bruce

Old November 17th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Paul Furman wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

No Windows, certainly no Vistas.

PS You'd need vista ultimate 64 bit *and* a 64 bit capable processor to
use more than 3GB of ram.

Or simply an *operating* system on your i386 (or newer CPU) and
your 4GB RAM.

-Wolfgang
Old November 18th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

No Windows, certainly no Vistas.

PS You'd need vista ultimate 64 bit *and* a 64 bit capable processor to
use more than 3GB of ram.

Or simply an *operating* system on your i386 (or newer CPU) and
your 4GB RAM.

I just installed 4GB on vista ultimate with a 32 bit cpu and it only
recognized a tad over 3GB. It needs the hardware also.
Old November 18th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

"Bruce" a écrit dans le message de
o.uk...

Thank to you all for your advice. I ended up with the following setup.

Pentium (R) 3.40 Ghz processor (FSB 800) , 2 Gb RAM, GeForce Digital PCX
5750 graphics card and two HD 100 Gb for the software and 200Gb for

backing
up the photos. It seems pretty quick.

Bruce

200Gb is kinda small, but probably more reliable than newer ½Tb or bigger
drives. If at all possible, get a SATA RAID controller with 2 identical
SATA drives and configure them as RAID-1. This is for data storage only.
Then go out and buy a firewire or USB2 external drive on which you can copy
your data, store this drive away from your computer after you have done your
copies. If something happens with one of the drives, the RAID set can be
rebuilt, if something goes wrong with the controller, you have your external
drive available while you wait for a controller replacement.

I have 3 250Gb SATA drives on an Adaptec 2610SA controller (bought on e-bay)
configured as RAID5 giving me 465Gb of storage. BTW, the drives are speced
at 250Gb when a giga byte is 1 x 10^9 but is equal to 232.5Gb for windows
when a giga byte is 2^30. I also have a copy on an external USB2 drive AND
I make a copy on another system equipped with a 500Gb drive. Definite case
of belts and suspenders.

Jean

Old November 18th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Paul Furman wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

No Windows, certainly no Vistas.

PS You'd need vista ultimate 64 bit *and* a 64 bit capable processor to
use more than 3GB of ram.

Or simply an *operating* system on your i386 (or newer CPU) and
your 4GB RAM.

I just installed 4GB on vista ultimate with a 32 bit cpu and it only
recognized a tad over 3GB. It needs the hardware also.

Wasn't I clear enough that I don't consider Windows an *operating*
system? You can install Solaris for i386, you can install any BSD,
any Linux (or just run e.g. Knoppix from CD, no need to install
anything) and they will make use of the 4GB.

-Wolfgang