Nikon D80

Old October 24th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

Default Nikon D80

I have a D80 and a number of Nikon Lenses. Among them are 18-70,
24-120VR, 70-300VR,
105f2.8Macro & 80-400VR.

Except for Bird pictures I almost always use the 24-120mm VR lens and
have been getting
consistantly really good images. If I had to choose one lens it would
be the 24-120mmVR.

"patricia" wrote in message
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm
thinking of getting 1 soon

regards

Old October 24th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
gpaleo

Ï "Frank Arthur" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

I have a D80 and a number of Nikon Lenses. Among them are 18-70, 24-120VR,
70-300VR,
105f2.8Macro & 80-400VR.

Except for Bird pictures I almost always use the 24-120mm VR lens and have
been getting
consistantly really good images. If I had to choose one lens it would be
the 24-120mmVR.

Same here. The 24-120VR rarely leaves the camera, and that so to mount the
70-300VR for the reach.
If only, if ONLY, they were f4 lenses instead of f5.6

Old October 24th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jurgen Exner

gpaleo wrote:
If only, if ONLY, they were f4 lenses instead of f5.6

Amen to that!!!
I would love so much to get my hands on a f2.8 tele or tele-zoom, but they
are just way out of my leage.

jue

Old October 24th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

M-M wrote:
I would like to add an 85mm 1.8 for $400 to my 18-135 and 70-300VR
since the only thing missing in the zoom lenses is a fast aperture.

I have the same set except I got the 50mm f1.8 instead. An very fast lens
and for only about 100$ you can't argue about the price :-)

jue

Old October 24th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sheepdog 2007

On 2007-10-24 15:01:14 -0700, M-M said:

In article 2007102406341216807%barking@mailmannet,
sheepdog 2007 wrote:

I'm impressed with the zoom lenses that have come out in the last few
years. I love my three-zoom combo for D80's: 12-24, 24-85 and 70-300VR.
I just sold my 105 micro because I'm so satisfied with the pix I get at
90-120 mm with the VR tele--I got it as a refurb for under USD$500.

The 70-300VR is under USD$500 *new*!

I would like to add an 85mm 1.8 for $400 to my 18-135 and 70-300VR
since the only thing missing in the zoom lenses is a fast aperture.

THank you for catching that. The lens *was* new, now that I think about
it. My camera body was a refurb.
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Old October 24th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
M-M wrote:
I would like to add an 85mm 1.8 for $400 to my 18-135 and 70-300VR
since the only thing missing in the zoom lenses is a fast aperture.

I have the same set except I got the 50mm f1.8 instead. An very fast
lens and for only about 100$ you can't argue about the price :-)

jue

My fast lens choice is the 35mm f2.0 AFD lens. Fast, good and the
closest focussing non-
micro lens Nikon has.

Old October 25th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

snip Would the 18 - 200mm /snip

The longer reach is great for sports. Image Stabilisation (or VR or
whatever the current terminology) is an absolute godsend. It does not
replace a fast lens (the subject still moves) but it does wonders for
camera shake. The 18-200 is a heavy thing, but the VR feature is very
helpful. In bright sunlight you can make photos from the window of a
moving car. In almost any light you can skip the tripod. Its value
increases with the lens length. I would not buy another normal/long lens
without this feature. It's much less money than a good tripod/head and it
comes at lighter weight, in case you like being out backpacking.
Old October 25th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

snip almost always use the 24-120mm VR lens /snip

This is a sharper lens than the 18-200, and an excellent "always on"
choice. The 24-120 + the 70-200 + a teleconverter makes a great scenic,
portrait, sports system. For birds, a little longer might be better.
Old October 25th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"patricia" a écrit dans le message de
Guys & Gals

To all who have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 what do you think i'm thinking of
getting 1 soon

regards

tried one for a few days, the viewfinder is really great. I personnaly would
trade the 18-135 for the older Nikkor 17-70 or a the Sigma 17-70.

Old October 26th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Oct 24, 10:45 pm, "Jurgen Exner" wrote:
gpaleo wrote:
If only, if ONLY, they were f4 lenses instead of f5.6

Amen to that!!!
I would love so much to get my hands on a f2.8 tele or tele-zoom, but they
are just way out of my leage.

jue

Well, how about the sigma 50-150 f/2.8 or the tokina 50-135mm f/2.8?
They're not cheap, but not that expensive either...