Mounting Duraflex materials

Old November 4th 05, 03:52 AM
Chris Sprague

Default Mounting Duraflex materials

I'm getting back my first large print from 4x5 tomorrow, a 24x30"
lightjet print onto Duraflex paper. From what I've read, this is
physically similar to Fujiflex and Ilfochrome, as all three are
polyester based materials.

What is the best way to go about mounting this? I normally use PMA
(positionable mounting adhesive) on archival foamcore, but I've read
that with poly papers, this can sometimes lead to pockmarking and
"orange peel." Does this only apply to dry-mounting with foamcore?

In any case, what does everyone else do with polyester materials?

Though not strictly a large format question, I figured that the folks
in this group print that big more often than the users of other
formats.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Chris

Old November 4th 05, 12:30 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Chris Sprague wrote:
I'm getting back my first large print from 4x5 tomorrow, a 24x30"
lightjet print onto Duraflex paper. From what I've read, this is
physically similar to Fujiflex and Ilfochrome, as all three are
polyester based materials.

What is the best way to go about mounting this? I normally use PMA
(positionable mounting adhesive) on archival foamcore, but I've read
that with poly papers, this can sometimes lead to pockmarking and
"orange peel." Does this only apply to dry-mounting with foamcore?

I never dry mounted to foamcore, and do not like the stuff. I did have a
frame shop mount a color print of mine and they used foamcore, but it is not
ideal.

In any case, what does everyone else do with polyester materials?

I just use a low temperature dry-mounting tissue such as Seal ColorMount or
Kodak's equivalent (cannot remember what it was called; I do not have
anymore). The texture of the mat board _will_ show through, so get a very
smooth one.

^^-^^ 07:25:00 up 26 days, 6:48, 4 users, load average: 4.32, 4.21, 4.12
Old November 4th 05, 01:47 PM
Todd Maurer

I use Crescent Perfect Mount. It comes in both a backing board and a foam
core version. I can't speak to it's longevity in terms of centuries or even
decades. Hinging in is the only truly archival method, but people get
bothered by fact that the print isn't flat, particularly with high gloss
papers.

Todd
www.konabear.com

--
See fine art photography at: www.konabear.com
oups.com...

Old November 4th 05, 02:31 PM
Chris Sprague

Thanks Todd. By the way, your "Misty Mill Pond" shot is of the
spillway on the Little River Dam in Belfast, ME. It's at the corner of
Perkins Rd. and Congress St, though Mapquest shows no water there. You
can find it on Topozone:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...&layer=DR G25

No need to send me a free 5x7 though

- Chris

Old November 4th 05, 04:57 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Mike wrote:
I just use a low temperature dry-mounting tissue such as Seal ColorMount or
Kodak's equivalent (cannot remember what it was called; I do not have
anymore). The texture of the mat board _will_ show through, so get a very
smooth one.

So you dry-mount onto mat board?

Yes.

^^-^^ 11:55:00 up 26 days, 11:18, 4 users, load average: 4.23, 4.14, 4.10
Old November 5th 05, 04:11 AM
Todd Maurer

Chris,

It's nice to know someone reads the captions! Thank-you so much.

Todd

Old November 29th 05, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I just use a low temperature dry-mounting tissue such as Seal ColorMount or
Kodak's equivalent (cannot remember what it was called; I do not have
anymore). The texture of the mat board _will_ show through, so get a very
smooth one.

So you dry-mount onto mat board?

Yes.

Which side do you mount to? The nice side of the mat, or the back?