Camera in movie Chinatown

Old April 21st 05, 06:50 AM
Roxy d'Urban

Default Camera in movie Chinatown

Saw a bit of that old Jack Nicholson movie the other night and noticed him
using some sort of a rangefinder camera. I couldn't get the name of it.

Does anybody know what it was?

--
Be careful what you wish for.
Old April 21st 05, 12:39 PM
Ken Tough

Roxy d'Urban wrote:

Saw a bit of that old Jack Nicholson movie the other night and noticed him
using some sort of a rangefinder camera. I couldn't get the name of it.

Yeah, I caught most of the film the other night too, but missed the
bit with the camera.

Does anybody know what it was?

Good eye. It's a Leica:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/005ea.shtml

Chinatown (1974) - Jack Nicholson does his stalking on the pond and
motel roof using a III/A and VIDOM finder [36]. In the DVD Extras
section, director Roman Polanski mentions the roof-top Leica scene and
the dilemma they had over whether to reflect the young couple in the
Telyt lens right-way-up or upside-down

--
Ken Tough

Old April 21st 05, 02:35 PM
Roxy d'Urban

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:39:46 +0200, Ken Tough wrote:

Roxy d'Urban wrote:

Saw a bit of that old Jack Nicholson movie the other night and noticed him
using some sort of a rangefinder camera. I couldn't get the name of it.

Yeah, I caught most of the film the other night too, but missed the
bit with the camera.

I think I got about as far as Jack fishing something out of the water
feature in the woman's garden (was that Faye Dunaway?). Bloody E-tv always
show these features so late at night I usually miss them. Fortunately I
just had my DStv re-hooked up after moving house over the weekend. I
really enjoy those old films - TCM is one of my favourite channels (I
promised myself I will definitely watch the whole of Grand Prix
with James Garner sometime this year!).

Does anybody know what it was?

Good eye. It's a Leica:

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/005ea.shtml

Chinatown (1974) - Jack Nicholson does his stalking on the pond and
motel roof using a III/A and VIDOM finder [36]. In the DVD Extras
section, director Roman Polanski mentions the roof-top Leica scene and
the dilemma they had over whether to reflect the young couple in the
Telyt lens right-way-up or upside-down

Aha! Thanks Ken!

--
Be careful what you wish for.