dangerous chemicals

Old December 23rd 04, 11:51 PM
Beppe Alborč

Default dangerous chemicals

i've just a little question for you:
in your opinion, are the following products carcinogenic, or carcinogenic
suspected ?

negative film developer: kodak xtol

paper developers: kodak ektaflo, kodak selectol

thanks!

Old December 24th 04, 12:36 AM
Jed Savage

In my opinion - which is based on nothing more than not remembering
seeing anything on the labeling - nope, not unless you're planning on
drinking them.

Old December 24th 04, 04:57 PM
Mike King

Prolonged exposure in the place that makes the raw components? probably.

Exposure in a Kodak factory compounding the formulas? less likely.

Exposure in a commercial lab processing paper or film everyday, hardly
possible.

Home darkroom, not very likely at all!

Fed to lab rats at prodigious rates to get a reaction? Absolutely.

My wife once worked for a microbiologist that was phobic about germs--not a
very happy man! If you are that concerned about cancer you should probably
take up a different hobby, but note that carcinogens exist in every place
that we live, work, and play. Processed foods, cigarette smoke, second-hand
cigarette smoke, red wine, processed meats, building products, paints,
varnishes, adhesives, insulation, automobile exhaust (especially diesel),
power plant emissions, and a lot of so-called natural products. It's all
about limiting you cumulative exposure.

For me the benefits outweigh the risks, the rewards are worth the exposure.
I am always careful working around chemicals, power tools, electricity,
firearms, etc. All hobbies have risks and precautions associated with the
safe practice of the skills involved.
--
darkroommike

----------

Old December 24th 04, 05:06 PM
Gregory Blank

"Mike King" wrote:

If you are that concerned about cancer you should probably
take up a different hobby, but note that carcinogens exist in every place
that we live, work, and play. Processed foods, cigarette smoke, second-hand
cigarette smoke, red wine, processed meats, building products, paints,
varnishes, adhesives, insulation, automobile exhaust (especially diesel),
power plant emissions,

"""COMPUTER SCREENS,.. OH - MY - GOD""" We are dying by the "Nanue"
Second ;-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 24th 04, 06:58 PM
Beppe Alborč

If you are that concerned about cancer you should probably
take up a different hobby, but note that carcinogens exist in every

place
that we live, work, and play. Processed foods, cigarette smoke,

second-hand
cigarette smoke, red wine, processed meats, building products, paints,
varnishes, adhesives, insulation, automobile exhaust (especially

diesel),
power plant emissions,

yes, i know that dangers of carcinogens exist everywhere, but i prefer to be
as far as i can from all of these substances.
here's why i was searching the internet for development products that can't
expose me to this risk, because i like darkroom hobby very much!

I've discovered that these 2 products :
kodak xtol (film developer)
kodak selectol soft (paper developer)

don't have the hydroquinone in their formulas (i've read them on their data
sheets...).

so, i was asking myself if these products can't expose people to cancer
risk...
but i'm not an expert...

.... if someone of you can download the data sheets of these 2 products, at
the site
http://msds.kodak.com/ehswww/external/index.jsp

can give me a confimation ?

thanks very much, and happy holidays !!!!

Old December 25th 04, 03:47 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

[...]

Hydroquinone is probably used for more than a century, it's carcinogen properties have been
indicated only recently.
As an example, France obliged shops to keep products containing hydroquinone in closed cupboards a
couple of years ago, before that it was publicly available on the shelves. And the reason was
because some black people used it to whiten their skin (!) ...

Who can assure you that in your hydroquinone-free developer there isn't a chemical that will be
considered as a potential carcinogen (or harmful in another way) in ten years ? I can't ...
Treat the chemicals with respect as others already mentioned it.
I don't think any of us, including the radioactive ones :-)), are prone to that any risk with their
life.

As you still seem to have an hydroquinone phobia, you mentioned Xtol which is a very good choice: I
use it because it is an excellent developer not because it is hydroquinone-free.
You mentioned Selectol soft. As its name implies, it is a developer giving a softer contrast than
classic developers. Not what I call a "standard" paper developer. Useful with graded papers but not
that much with VC papers. You may also encounter difficulties to find it, it is not more very
common.

I already indicated you in another post that Agfa Neutol Plus is a paper developer using Vitamin C
instead of hydroquinone. It is much more available in Europe than Selectol Soft.
Don't confuse the _Plus_ version with the _NE_ (Neutral tone) or _WA_ (Warm tone) versions of Neutol
(available in liquid and powder forms), these are classic metol/hydroquinone paper developers (and
good/cheap ones).

Best regards,
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old December 25th 04, 06:19 PM
John

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:51:46 GMT, "Beppe Alborč"
wrote:

i've just a little question for you:
in your opinion, are the following products carcinogenic, or carcinogenic
suspected ?

negative film developer: kodak xtol

Nope

paper developers: kodak ektaflo, kodak selectol

Suspected but never proven to be carcinogenic.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

Old December 25th 04, 10:11 PM
Ralph Trent

If you want to avoid dangerous chemicals, then be sure to stay away from
pyro developers (pyrogallol/catechin/catechol/pyrocatechin), as they are
deadly
when absorbed through the skin (liquids) or inhaled (powders). They give
beautiful results, but should only be used with great precaution.