Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

Old August 29th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Digital Photography Now

Default Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

Old August 29th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Digital
Photography Now wrote:

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

If it carries the Sigma name, you know it's gotta be crap.
Old August 29th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mark

Hi Randall.
Bye Randall

Old August 29th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?
Old August 29th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.
Old August 29th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Eric Miller wrote:
Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
MP. I hope - if this is really the new SD14 - that Sigma got it right
this time. The Foveon chip is a pretty cool technology.

-Gniewko

Old August 29th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:
Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
MP.

That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
and sometimes moiré effects.

Has Foveon solved the silicon color separation contamination issues that
plagued the SD9 and SD10 with color accuracy problems? Have they solved
the noise issues? Did they add an anti-aliasing filter?

Did they come up with a better Li-Ion battery solution than two RCRV3
batteries in series?

Did they fix the viewfinder?

You've got to believe that Sigma and Foveon would not attempt another
digital SLR unless they really have solved all the issues that caused
the SD9 and SD10 to flop.

The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.
Old August 29th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

SMS wrote:
wrote:
Eric Miller wrote:
Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
MP.

That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
and sometimes moiré effects.

Yup, exactly. That's why I said that I hope they got it right this
time.

(snip)

The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.

Well, that depends on the detailed specs of the camera, no? There is
nothing inherently superior about Bayer chips that make them more
suited to high-end cameras than Foveon chips. In fact, quite the
opposite may be true. Just because Sigma screwed it up with the SD9 and
SD10 and gave Foveon chips a bad rep, that doesn't mean that they can't
get it right this time.

Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

-Gniewko

Old August 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"SMS" wrote in message
Digital Photography Now wrote:
See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems
to have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

Wrong:

http://www.sigma-sd14.com/

This is the "teaser" site from Sigma.