VR really works!

Old August 28th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy Smith

Default VR really works!

Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the woods and
took this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy. Hand-held, 1/8 sec,
with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO 1000. I never would have believed it
possible to hand-hold a 200mm lens at 1/8th.
Old August 28th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Roy Smith wrote:
Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the woods and
took this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy. Hand-held, 1/8 sec,
with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO 1000. I never would have believed it
possible to hand-hold a 200mm lens at 1/8th.

Yep. As long as the subject stays still, you can hand hold at some
pretty aggressive shutter speeds w/ VR. I just got the 70-200 VR -
what a piece of glass!

Old August 28th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Roy Smith wrote:
Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the woods
and took this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy. Hand-held,
1/8 sec, with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO 1000. I never would
have believed it possible to hand-hold a 200mm lens at 1/8th.

You're discovering why I won't buy another lens above 100mm that isn't
IS/VR.
They really are worth their price...

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 28th 06, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:00:51 -0700, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number wrote:

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy. Hand-held,
1/8 sec, with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO 1000. I never would
have believed it possible to hand-hold a 200mm lens at 1/8th.

You're discovering why I won't buy another lens above 100mm that isn't
IS/VR.
They really are worth their price...

Canon appreciates your patronage and purchases, and your
willingness to help them maintain the highest possible prices.

Old August 28th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

You're discovering why I won't buy another lens above 100mm that
isn't IS/VR.

Why won't you buy any IS/VR lenses under 100mm providing, of course,
if they made them?

-Didn't say I wouldn't. I have the 24-105 f4 IS. IS becomes more
important, though, the longer your lens extension is. It is also a huge
benefit for low light, even with wide-to-normal lenses...
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 28th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jack

Roy Smith wrote:
: Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the
: woods and took this picture...
:
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/
:
: It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy.
: Hand-held, 1/8 sec, with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO
: 1000. I never would have believed it possible to hand-hold a
: 200mm lens at 1/8th.

Ok, I'll bite. And "VR" means??? (Sorry to be so dense here).

Old August 28th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

jack wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the
woods and took this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy.
Hand-held, 1/8 sec, with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO
1000. I never would have believed it possible to hand-hold a
200mm lens at 1/8th.

Ok, I'll bite. And "VR" means??? (Sorry to be so dense here).

"Vibration Reduction," which is Nikon's response to Canon's IS (Image
Stabilization)

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 28th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

jack wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
: Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the
: woods and took this picture...
:
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/
:
: It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy.
: Hand-held, 1/8 sec, with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO
: 1000. I never would have believed it possible to hand-hold a
: 200mm lens at 1/8th.

Ok, I'll bite. And "VR" means??? (Sorry to be so dense here).

"Vermin-Ridden." It is a new technology for taking tick-sharp photos of
wildlife in upstate New York.
Old August 28th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SteveB

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Yesterday I became a believer in VR. I was out hiking in the woods and
took this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10625820@N00/226588336/

It was a grey overcast day, under a heavy leaf canopy. Hand-held, 1/8
sec,
with a 200mm focal length, f/5.6, ISO 1000. I never would have believed
it
possible to hand-hold a 200mm lens at 1/8th.

But can it pass the Pentax lawnmower test?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19647176