Dumb RAW Question

Old August 18th 05, 07:42 PM
John Keiser

Default Dumb RAW Question

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?
Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old August 18th 05, 08:24 PM
Ed Mullikin

That makes it dumb for two of us! I can't do anything with RAW, either.
newsE4Ne.10511$Xw5.6626@trnddc02...

Old August 18th 05, 08:39 PM
John Bean

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:42:28 GMT, "John Keiser"
wrote:

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?

It sounds like you're trying to import them from the camera
using USB or whatever. You need to copy the raw files onto
your computer before you can open them - it's probably best
to use a card reader to do this.

--
Regards

John Bean
Old August 18th 05, 09:50 PM
BJ in Texas

John Keiser wrote:
|| Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW
|| image but Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files
|| present.
|| Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on
|| the camera. What am I missing?
|| Thank you.
|| --
|| Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

I remember it said somewhere in one manual or another
that the RAWs need to be copied to your computer
hard disk first. Use a card reader to copy them.

"This cause of exploration and discovery is not an option we
choose; it is a desire written in the human heart. We are that
part of creation which seeks to understand all creation. We find
the best among us, send them forth into unmapped darkness, and
pray they will return." -- George W. Bush

Old August 18th 05, 10:32 PM
Mr. Mark

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?
Thank you.

You need to either use a card reader or the transfer software that came with
the camera to read the RAW files. I don't know why, but the camera hides
the RAW files when it's plugged in. Weird.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 18th 05, 11:07 PM
Mr. Mark

Using Elements 3 and a Canon 20D, the camera displays a RAW image but
Elements [and Windows explorer] says no files present.
Can't import what isn't found, even though the image is on the camera.
What am I missing?
Thank you.

You need to either use a card reader or the transfer software that came

with
the camera to read the RAW files. I don't know why, but the camera hides
the RAW files when it's plugged in. Weird.

What I was trying to say is that Explorer doesn't see the files, nor does it
see the full directory structure that exists on the CF card when the 20D is
plugged in via USB. However, the Canon file transfer software DOES see the
RAW files and will transfer them. Then you can use Elements or what ever to
do your RAW conversions. The other option is using a card reader - then
Explorer DOES see the RAW files and has no trouble moving them to where ever
you want. I don't know why Canon would design the system this way.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old August 19th 05, 01:57 AM
John Keiser

The Canon tech insisted I should have installed "ZoomBrowser" but I could
not find it on verr 9.1 EOS Digital Solutions Disk. But that was a clue. I
downloaded ZoomBrwoser and now I can access the RAW images fine directly
from the camera.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old August 19th 05, 01:58 AM
Bruce

I've just switched my Nikon D70 to RAW format and after saving the files
using the Nikon software I don't seem to be able to view them in Abobe Photo
Elements. Like you I'm confused is there a plugin or something.

Bruce

Old August 19th 05, 03:05 AM
Mr. Mark

The Canon tech insisted I should have installed "ZoomBrowser" but I could
not find it on verr 9.1 EOS Digital Solutions Disk. But that was a clue.

downloaded ZoomBrwoser and now I can access the RAW images fine directly
from the camera.

On the ver 9.1 CD there is a tool similar to ZoomBrowser called "EOS Viewer
Utility" and personally I like it better than ZoomBrowser because it has the
RAW conversion stuff built in.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions