Wisner bellows problems

Old July 12th 04, 01:57 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Default Wisner bellows problems

Sly D. Skeez wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on a bellows.

I have a Wisner 4x5 traditional, a 210 lens and a 110 lens. I find that
I have to use the regular bellows (23" max draw) for the 210 and a bag
bellows for the 110 (unless I have a shot with no movements). That also
means that whenever I shoot a "110 shot," I have to swap to the bag
bellows, shoot, and then swap back to close up the camera.

I think this is a pain, and that I need a shorter "accordian" bellows
or longer bag bellows that can accomodate both lens and folding the
camera. One more thing, the Wisner bellows are not IR light tight, and
I have about 40 sheets of IR in the freezer waiting for a solution.

So, and ideas on say purchasing or possibly making a bellows that has
maybe 15" of draw and is IR light tight? (I'm guessing that 15" will be
long enough for most 210 shots and short enough for movements on the
110.) I hate to cut down the existing bellows because I may purchase a
300 mm in the future and this doesn't solve the IR problem.

I have a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field with regular and bag bellows. It is
said that some people can use a 90mm f/8 SuperAngulon with the regular
bellows. Well maybe some can, but I cannot. It does work on axis, and for
relatively close up stuff.

So I use the bag bellows for that. And yes it is a pain switching back and
forth between them.

I have noticed, though, that when I am in a situation requiring a bag
bellow, or the regular bellows, that I tend to make several exposures (not
bracketing: moving the camera around a little) with one lens before I need
to switch. This reduces the overhead of switching back and forth.

Wisner make their own bellows for the 4x5 cameras, essentially by hand.
Give Ron a call and maybe he will make you a 16" bellows for your camera.
That way it will match what you have.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 08:50:00 up 9 days, 21:46, 4 users, load average: 4.11, 4.15, 4.15

Old July 12th 04, 02:58 PM
Art Reitsch

Do what I did, and I'm serious. Sell the Traditional and buy the
Technical Field. I use my regular bellows with my 90mm lens with no
problem, and go to the bag bellows for the 65mm. With the 90mm, first
move the base of the back standard forward, then return it to vertical
using the top locks. Then swing the front standard back at the base,
followed by returning it to vertical with the upper locks. Center the
front standard vertically and there is plenty of focus room for the 90,
no problem. Plus, the Technical, using these movements, can go down to
a zero-mm lens, as advertised. In fact, if you remove the bellows, you
can put the front standard behind the back standard.
Cost? Check it out on eBay. I sold my old one there and found a good
price on the Technical. I think it's a good long-term move. BTW, the
bellows is long enough to use my 450mm lens.
Art

Old July 12th 04, 06:04 PM
Vladamir30

In his
latest models, Ron has put the "Deardorff" front shift on the front
standard that is very often helpful.

Just curious, what's the "Deardorff front shift?" I ask because I've had
two 8x10 Deardorffs and neither has had front shift. Are you maybe referring
to the front rise mechanism that Deardorffs do have? If that's what Wisner
has started putting on its cameras that's great, I use it all the time with
my Deardorff and have always wondered why more manufacturers didn't
incorporate it into their cameras. .

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
Art Reitsch wrote (in part):
Do what I did, and I'm serious. Sell the Traditional and buy the
Technical Field. I use my regular bellows with my 90mm lens with no
problem, and go to the bag bellows for the 65mm. With the 90mm, first
move the base of the back standard forward, then return it to vertical
using the top locks. Then swing the front standard back at the base,
followed by returning it to vertical with the upper locks. Center the
front standard vertically and there is plenty of focus room for the 90,
no problem. Plus, the Technical, using these movements, can go down to
a zero-mm lens, as advertised. In fact, if you remove the bellows, you
can put the front standard behind the back standard.

What you describe is the procedure (I first figured it out for my
Deardorff 4x5 Special, but I was by no means the first to figure it out)
for focusing something on-axis with short lenses. And I would imagine
there is no need for selling the Wisner Traditional which can probably do
the same thing as the T.F. in this respect.

But that is not the problem under discussion. The problem is that the
movements (mainly with the front standard) are very difficult with a 110mm
or 90mm lens with the normal 23" bellows. And diddling the spacing between
the front and rear standards does not address this. Sometimes you can move
the camera instead of using the movements, but sometimes artistic concerns
dictate the camera position and require the use of movements. In his
latest models, Ron has put the "Deardorff" front shift on the front
standard that is very often helpful. But for the more extreme movements
with short lenses, you really do need the bag bellows.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 10:05:00 up 9 days, 23:01, 4 users, load average: 6.39, 5.79, 5.17

Old July 13th 04, 04:15 AM
Jean-David Beyer

Vladamir30 wrote:
In his

latest models, Ron has put the "Deardorff" front shift on the front
standard that is very often helpful.

Just curious, what's the "Deardorff front shift?" I ask because I've had
two 8x10 Deardorffs and neither has had front shift. Are you maybe referring
to the front rise mechanism that Deardorffs do have? If that's what Wisner
has started putting on its cameras that's great, I use it all the time with
my Deardorff and have always wondered why more manufacturers didn't
incorporate it into their cameras. .

Sorry, I did mean front rise.

It may have been patented by Deardorff (I do not know), but even if so,
surely the patent has expired by now.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 23:10:00 up 10 days, 12:06, 3 users, load average: 4.04, 4.07, 4.08