fz30 versus fuju finepix s9000

Old November 22nd 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default fz30 versus fuju finepix s9000

similar camera , similar performance ?????

Old November 22nd 05, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

corks wrote:
similar camera , similar performance ?????

No image stabilisation on the S9000, so blurrier pictures under similar
taking conditions. Not as much telephoto zoom. Wider wide-angle zoom.

David

Old November 22nd 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:28:52 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
corks wrote:
similar camera , similar performance ?????

No image stabilisation on the S9000, so blurrier pictures under similar
taking conditions. Not as much telephoto zoom. Wider wide-angle zoom.

On the flip side, it's a higher-ISO sensor, so the lack of image
stabilization can be countered by cranking up the ISO and going to a
shorter shutter.

It's a pity, though, that no-one has offered a camera with a decent
high-ISO sensor AND stabilization.

-dms

Old November 22nd 05, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

wrote:
corks wrote:
similar camera , similar performance ?????

No image stabilisation on the S9000, so blurrier pictures under
similar taking conditions. Not as much telephoto zoom. Wider
wide-angle zoom.

On the flip side, it's a higher-ISO sensor, so the lack of image
stabilization can be countered by cranking up the ISO and going to a
shorter shutter.

It's a pity, though, that no-one has offered a camera with a decent
high-ISO sensor AND stabilization.

-dms

I find that I get about a factor of ten gain in shutter speed by image
stabilisation - about three stops. The S9000's sensitive area is only 25%
greater than the FZ30, so it's not going to be ten times as sensitive.
Considering that at the long end of the zoom, the Panasonic is f/3.7
versus the f/4.9 of the Fuji, most of the advantage of the larger sensor
will be lost because of the smaller aperture. For significant sensitivity
gains, you really need the larger sensor used in a DSLR, and all that
implies.

Yes, I would also like to see a bigger sensor (perhaps the 2/3 inch size
used in the Nikon 5700/8700/8800 Coolpix range) coupled with the f/2.8
aperture of the image stabilised Leica zoom of the Panasonic FZ20.
However, I suspect the resulting combination would be much bulkier and
heavier than the (for me) almost ideal 5MP Panasonic FZ5.

David

Old November 22nd 05, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

wrote:
corks wrote:
[...]

My recollection is that Fuji claims about 2 stops worth of improvement
in their sensor noise/sensitivity performance; it's not just increased
collecting area, but a lower-noise sensor technology. The F10 certainly
is useful at ISO ranges well above what most other cameras in that class
can do. I didn't realize that the S9000 had such a slow lens at the far
end of the zoom; that gives back not quite one stop of performance.

So I guess the FZ30 comes out ahead in terms of reducing camera shake.
On the other hand, stabilization does nothing to reduce blur from
subject motion; for that, you need fast shutter speeds, which means
either very bright lenses or high ISOs (or both).

Yes, I would also like to see a bigger sensor (perhaps the 2/3 inch size
used in the Nikon 5700/8700/8800 Coolpix range) coupled with the f/2.8
aperture of the image stabilised Leica zoom of the Panasonic FZ20.
However, I suspect the resulting combination would be much bulkier and
heavier than the (for me) almost ideal 5MP Panasonic FZ5.

f/2.8 constant gets pretty big as the sensor size increases. You'll
note that Panasonic had to abandon that for the FZ30, and that was only
a slight increase in sensor size compared to the FZ20.

-dms

Old November 23rd 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I don't really think the sensor is any better for noise. If you compare RAW
images from both cameras, the noise is very similar up to ISO 400 and the
noise above that ISO on the Fuji is so bad to be unusable. The main
difference is that Fuji does more aggressive noise reduction in the camera
processing, which does reduce noise but also reduces resolution.

With the FZ30, you get less aggressive noise reduction which is all you need
most of the time and it is your option to do additional noise reduction with
extra software if you so choose. To me the noise issue is talked to death
on other forums and is really a non-issue on this camera. The bad rap it
gets is mostly from reviews which compare the camera to DSLR's costing
thousands more (with additional lenses).
Ed

.. .