Lens suggestions: Tamron, Canon, Sigma, Tokina?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 04, 11:00 PM
Douglas MacDonald

Voice Only wrote:
I'm hoping that someone can shed some light (hmm) on this for me.

I'm in the market for both a wide-zoom of roughly 24-70mm f/2.8 and a longer
zoom of 70-200mm f2.8. My camera is a Canon 10d.

Obviously Canon makes the lens' I'm looking for, but at a very steep price
tag for each (aka $1000US).

Are the lenses made by Canon that much more superior than the "pro" line of
lenses by say Tamron, Sigma, or others? Do these lesser expensive lenses
stack up to the Canon, or should I just save up for the Canon?

Any insights, actual comparisons would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,
VO

I recently sold a 70~200 2.8 Canon lens (non IS) with my 10D. I replaced
it with a Sigma 100~300 f4.0 lens. I had always used the Canon lens with
a 1.4X multiplier which effectively reduced it's aperture to f4.0 anyway.

The only difference I can detect is the Canon focus motor is quieter and
a trifle faster than the Sigma's. Otherwise... Both of these lenses
produce identical quality images. Both have identical flaws in how they
resolve.

For my money, the Sigma is definitely better value than the Canon. The
flaws are not resolving detail in highlight and shadow of images shot at
high ISO. Either the cameras (10D and 20D) both have this identical
flaws or the lenses do. Right now my guess is stray light bouncing
around inside the lens but time will tell.

I also sold a 28~70 f2.8 Sigma lens and replaced it with the 20D 'kit'
lens. The kit lens is OK for most of the time but it is not as good as
the Sigma was. I intend in the next day or so to buy a medium zoom. I
may even buy another Sigma. It was a mistake to have sold it. I hope
this helps you decide.

Douglas