ALDEN-74 BULK FILM LOADER - This will be in 35mm and darkroom and no other postings

Old July 14th 04, 09:05 PM
Richard Knoppow

Default ALDEN-74 BULK FILM LOADER - This will be in 35mm and darkroom and no other postings

"Cliff" wrote in message
m...
One reason wanting to use this is that it will keep track

of how many
feet and inches you have pulled over the gears in it.

With my other
film loader I really just used it as a light-safe. I had

measured out
how much film I needed for 35 frames without losing so

much to trim
and such. I am going to be copying and printing some old

pics and I
have a complete mental block for this, "Mind!!! Write down

how many
inches of film you took out of the bulk film loader. DO

IT UNDER THE
THREAT OF DEATH! And I still cannot do it.
This is the correct address for the loader:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31323363&f=

TIA

I'm not sure what you are asking, is it for instructions
for using the loader? If so, its pretty simple but keep in
mind that you will have some fogged film near the end unless
you always insert and remove the cassette in the dark. For
any length of film wind about five extra frames. Those will
be the leader. The end of the film is fastened to the spool
with sticky tape, I use plain masking tape. The loader is
closed and the internal light trap turned to the "open"
position. Set the counter to zero and wind the number of
frames you want plus the extra for the leader. Close the
light trap, open the loader and cut off the end of the film.
Most 35mm cameras require a toungue of film at the end, for
most of them this can be made with a simple diagonal cut
maybe two frames long. Screw mount Leica's require a tongue
long enough to reach from the cassette to the takeup spool,
the idea is that the sprocket holes on one side are removed
so that the film can be slid into the camera.
Since the end of the film is exposed to the light when
cutting it off there will be a short section of fogged film
at the end of each spool unless you do the cutting off in
the dark. This is not too difficult but is an extra bother.
If you wind a couple of extra frames onto the cassette you
can just stop at the highest number of frames before the
extras and be sure you will not have any fogged frames. Most
36 esposure cassettes will take 40 frames of film not
counting the leader.
I have about four of these things and have used them for
years. With a litte care they are quite reliable and easy to
use. Perhaps its just the photo but the large (footage) dial
seems not to have any calibrations on it. My loaders have
paste-on labels on the dial which are not exactly long
lived. I don't know if you can get replacements.

--
---
Richard Knoppow