Maxxum / Dynax 7D. PC-sync, MLU and DOF preview

Old September 29th 04, 07:16 PM
Alan Browne

Default Maxxum / Dynax 7D. PC-sync, MLU and DOF preview

In the prel. spec that we have seen on dpreview, and on the various K-M there is
no _specific_ mention of PC-sync for the D7, nor MLU nor DOF preview. I hope
this is a manifestation of the very sloppy marketing materials that we have seen
to date from K-M re the 7D and not an indication that these essential features
are missing.

--in the spec here on dpreview it does say:
"...with flash sync. terminal"
"...10 sec, 2 sec" (Self timer, 2 sec is usually MLU on Minoltas)

and in one photo there is a protrusion on the lower left side of the lens (if
facing the camera) that looks much like the DOF preview of the Max 7.

But the spec is ambiguous on all of these items (eg: the various incarnations of
the spec do not use the terms "PC Sync", "MLU" and "DOF preview".)

Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

If the camera is missing ANY of these features, it is a dead duck for me.

(I've sent inquiries to various K-M contacts).

Cheers,
Alan
Old September 29th 04, 07:27 PM
Magnus W

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

As I've said in another post, all this is confirmed by now. 2 sec timer is
useless without MLU, plus there is no reason for them to actually /remove/
it, so that's a given. The DOF preview button (at a new location) can't be
anything else so that's a given, too. The PC socket is under the rubber
flap at the side -- no screw-on cap anymore, that one got me fooled for a
while, but I've seen a pic with the flap removed.

Old September 29th 04, 08:33 PM
PhotoMan

"Crow T Robot" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

Probably to be announced shortly after Canon or Nikon reveal another digital
body. ;-)

Old September 29th 04, 09:34 PM
Alan Browne

Magnus W wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Does anyone have a source (links please) clarifying these items?

As I've said in another post, all this is confirmed by now. 2 sec timer is
useless without MLU, plus there is no reason for them to actually /remove/
it, so that's a given. The DOF preview button (at a new location) can't be
anything else so that's a given, too. The PC socket is under the rubber
flap at the side -- no screw-on cap anymore, that one got me fooled for a
while, but I've seen a pic with the flap removed.

Until I see each item _clearly_ and specifically stated in a spec, brochure or
manual I'm holding my doubts. Yes, I've seen the same things you have and made
the same wishful conclusions (except for the PC sync ... haven't seen a thing on
that).

Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

Do the terms "PC Sync", "MLU" and "DOF" (acronym or whole) appear ANYWHERE in a
Maxxum 7D announcement?

That is what is bothering me ... I hope all for naught.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old September 29th 04, 09:46 PM
Alan Browne

PhotoMan wrote:

"Crow T Robot" wrote in message
.. .

Is there any confirmed price or Release date as of yet?

Probably to be announced shortly after Canon or Nikon reveal another digital
body. ;-)

I posted the CDN price a couple days ago:

I was given two bizarre prices for the 7D. These were based on
a photo store retailer and what he had been told by Minolta.

A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)

Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)

Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200
once things settle a little.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 29th 04, 09:53 PM
Magnus W

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Until I see each item _clearly_ and specifically stated in a spec,
brochure or manual I'm holding my doubts. Yes, I've seen the same
things you have and made the same wishful conclusions (except for the
PC sync ... haven't seen a thing on that).

It's not a matter of wishful conclusions. It is totally improbable that
there would be a 2sec self timer (and on the drive dial nonetheless) if
there wasn't MLU to go with it, or do you have a guess about why it would
even exist? Same goes for the DOF preview button. In that place, what else
can it be? I had the same concerns, and yes, specs are non too detailed,
but I'm not concerned about this anymore.

Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

No, but I've /very/ clearly seen it. That was also a concern of mine. You
have to trust me on this one. It was on a Polish site or something. Under a
rectangular flap -- you should be able to see it -- at the same location as
on the 7 and 9. Just the same, threaded PC socket.

A case of "Paranoia Maxxumus"? ;-)
Old September 29th 04, 10:34 PM
Elie A Shammas

Do you have a link to a photo showing the PC sync?

Alan,

Here is a link that shows the PC sync

http://www.grafika.cz/art/df/kmdynax...n-preview.html

Elie