Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S

Old September 28th 04, 11:07 PM
Joseph Kewfi

Is that all?

Thats enough on any one card of mine thanks.

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Joseph Kewfi wrote:

That's what credit cards are for.....Buy it, and pay it off gradually,

with

a fixed number of dollars every month......

Wow, and there I was thinking credit cards were an invention by banking
institutions to make profit by hooking people into dept encouraging more

and
more credit. My bank spams my every other month offering to up my

monthly
credit limit, apparently 4000 Euro a month is not enough for me in their
eyes.

Is that all? ALWAYS accept a limit increase ___IF___ you always keep your

cards
paid off. It is an important component to a strong credit rating. On one

of my
cards, the limit automatically increases every year by a couple k.

Old September 28th 04, 11:09 PM
William Graham

"Joseph Kewfi" wrote in message
If you pay only once a month,you might get two payments in the same

billing
period, and thereby miss a
period, and the interest rate will go to the maximum, which can be as

high
as 20% a year....

The APR on my Allied Irish Visa card is 26.5%. America must be a very

cheap
country to live in, I probably wipe my arse with more expensive toilet

paper
than the US dollar.

The best way to evaluate the cost of anything is to calculate the number of
hours you have to work in order to accumulate the money to buy it.....This
eliminates the hassle of figuring money values caused by conversion to other
currencies, or by inflation over the years. When I was making $500 a month,
the price of a gallon of gasoline was about $.25. That means I had to work
about 5 minutes to buy a gallon of gas.Today, I am making 10 times that, and
the price of gasoline is around $2.00, which means that I only work about 4
minutes in order to buy a gallon. And, my cars get better mileage than they
did then, so I am slightly better off......There is nothing wrong with the
value of the dollar, It has been a reasonable and convenient currency to
carry and use all of my life, and, my government has never had to
recall/replace it with different dollars that had different values during my
lifetime. In some other countries, the money has had to be turned in and
replaced by other money of vastly different value many times over the same
number of years......

Old September 29th 04, 01:21 AM
Steve Kramer

Dallas wrote:

Nuts. That's what I am.

I've been offered this lens at a really good price (about twice what I
paid for my new 18-70mm DX) and buying it would really be stretching the
finances just before the silly season, but I know that if I don't get it
now, the opportunity to get it at this price won't be back in a very long
time.

What do you do?

The 17-35 f/2.8 is one of my three most used lenses. I use it for at
least 25% of my shooting, with the 28-70 f/2.8 adding in 50% and the
70-200 VR contributing another 20%. The last 5% come from the 12-24,
105 macro, and the 80-400 VR. But remember, these numbers are all
multiplied by a factor of 1.5 because I put them on a digital body.

I'd be lost without the 17-35. The 12-24 just doesn't measure up to the
quality of the images the the 17-35 can capture.

Steve Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
with new eyes." - Marcel Proust
Old September 29th 04, 02:09 AM
Alan Browne

Joseph Kewfi wrote:
If you pay only once a month,you might get two payments in the same billing

period, and thereby miss a

period, and the interest rate will go to the maximum, which can be as high
as 20% a year....

The APR on my Allied Irish Visa card is 26.5%. America must be a very cheap
country to live in, I probably wipe my arse with more expensive toilet paper
than the US dollar.

I have not paid a cent in interest on a credit card in well over 15 years. I
don't "charge" what I can't clear when the bill comes in. So my limit continues
to grow, which looks great to the bank and creditors whether or not I use it.

Rates here are about 18% .... but who cares as the card is always clear.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 29th 04, 02:10 AM
Alan Browne

Joseph Kewfi wrote:

Is that all?

Thats enough on any one card of mine thanks.

Talk to a financial advisor about your credit _rating_. If 4,000 is enough,
then 30,000 always paid off each month makes you look even better. This does
not have to make sense it is just the way the credit weenies work. One day when
you will need a float, your credit rating has a big impact on how much you can
get and more importantly on the risk the bank perceives. Better rating equals
better ability to negotiate small loans or a mortgage. When I got divorced and
was temporarilly renting a house, paying for the original house, bought a new
car, glass, travelled, etc. I didn't even dent my borrowing capability. Now I'm
at par again (except for the mortgage). None of the above were on my credit
card for more than a month, of course.
Old September 29th 04, 04:44 PM
[BnH]

Twice the price of your 18-70 DX ??
GRAB IT !!!

This lens is at least 3x the 18-70 DX price even used !

=bob=

news

Old September 29th 04, 07:16 PM
Dallas

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:52:40 +0000, William Graham had this to say:

"Dallas" wrote in message
news
Nuts. That's what I am.

I've been offered this lens at a really good price (about twice what I
paid for my new 18-70mm DX) and buying it would really be stretching the
finances just before the silly season, but I know that if I don't get it
now, the opportunity to get it at this price won't be back in a very
long time.

What do you do?

That's what credit cards are for.....Buy it, and pay it off gradually,
with a fixed number of dollars every month......

I don't do credit anymore at all. Besides, this is a private deal, so that
wouldn't work. I have the money, it's just that I need a new lawnmower and
I also need a holiday! If I spend the cash on this lens I would have to do
without those. But if don't get the lens, I will spend many nights wishing
I had gotten it when I had the chance (the owner is selling it for about
half of the local retail price - he's desperate for the cash).

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG

Old September 29th 04, 10:24 PM
William Graham

newsan.2004.09.29.15.15.15.100000@realphoto...

"Dallas" wrote in message
[...]

Well, this is a very familiar dilemma.....Unless you are Bill Gates, or
someone of his ilk, you will spend your life trying to decide how to spend
the limited amount of money you have.....I know I have had to do that. The
lawnmower is too small and cheap an item to worry about. It's cost
represents only a small fraction of the cost of that beautiful wide angle
Nikkor zoom. As for the holiday.....Well, the question is whether you will
get more enjoyment out of the lens than the holiday. They are both, after
all, luxuries that you could do without. Once the holiday is over, you are
left with nothing but the memories. But the lens will be there for a long
time.......On the other hand, if you are not the only one enjoying the
holiday, then there are others to consider.......