Maxxum 7D price

Old September 27th 04, 11:31 PM
Alan Browne

Jim Waggener wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Today I was given two bizarre prices for the 7D. These were based on a
photo store retailer and what he had been told by Minolta.

A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)

Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)

Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200 once things
settle a little.

Cheers,
Alan

I wonder why Minolta went with a 6.1 sensor when the new offerings from
Canon/Nikon are going 12 mp. Is this digicam addressing the consumer market
or pro's?

Many amateurs and a few pros. There are not that many pros who use Minolta,
unfortunately. As this is their entry product into the DSLR (not counting the
RD-185) market, starting at 6 Mpx is a reasonable beginning (From what I've seen
of Nikon D100 performance, it is nothing to sneeze at, and the Minolta offering
is certainly a better camera than that ...)

Further value comes from the A-S. The anti-shake margin at 6 mpix is certainly
worth a non-IS/VR 8 mpix DSLR handheld ... and with the Minolta you will get
that performance will all lenses.

(To be fair, tests to date indicate that Canon/Nikon IS/VR gets about 3 stops of
margin, the Minolta AS about 2 stops int he A1/A2).

Price: The first prices of the A1 and A2 were beaten down pretty quick after
introduction. I'm hoping it will be the same here. I think a US $1,200 $1,300
would be a fair price for the 7D when the A-S is considered.

Finally, there is nothing that says they won't have higher pix offerings in the
near future (A1 - A2) was a 6 month cycle to go from 5 to 8 Mpix.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Alan Browne

Richard Cockburn wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in
:

A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)

Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)

Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200 once
things settle a little.

With introductory prices like that, KM might be effectively limiting their
market to current Minolta film SLR owners, with less hope of pulling in
newbs and converts.

Mainly true.

Except for the one little feature that KM provide ... anti-shake. This will
allow slower lens use at lower ISO numbers, and/or lower light use for the
better lenses. Either way, it is a lower cost path than IS/VR whether a current
Minolta SLR owner or not.

I bet the price settles quickly to around US$1,200 - 1,300. This camera exceeds
the 10D in most respects. Larger-finer display, more buffer, lighter, faster USB
(2.0) and of course Anti-shake.

How many 'new' customers this brings in is of course TBD. The owner of the
store where I got the camera has had a lot of interest in the 7D.

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 27th 04, 11:44 PM
Alan Browne

Simon Stanmore wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Today I was given two bizarre prices for the 7D. These were based on a
photo store retailer and what he had been told by Minolta.

A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)

Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)

Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200 once things
settle a little.

Cheers,
Alan

Damn good value if you have a few Minolta lenses Alan as they'll all be
'upgraded' to IS in one fell swoop. I couldn't get the same with my Canon
stuff even if I had a ton of cash to spa Their IS range is still too
limited for that. Minolta users fond of using tele's or shooting low-light
must be chuffed. You've waited a long time but assuming that shifting sensor
does the business it's been well worth the wait IMHO

Hi Simon.

That is the one redeeming thing about the wait. When the A1 came out with A-S,
it was a hope that this feature would make into the eventual DSLR. We're there!

I have a pretty good collection of the better Minolta glass, so this development
is very welcome indeed, esp for use with my 28-70 and 80-200 f/2.8's and
possibly the 100 f/2.8 as well.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old September 27th 04, 11:49 PM
Darrell Larose

That's what I had heard from Minolta Canada. They are the only game in town
for Maxxum lenses, so expect them to profiteer for about 6 months. There
could still be a Drebel level camera announced at Photokina. Minolta isn't
talking about that one.

Old September 27th 04, 11:50 PM
Darrell Larose

"Jim Waggener" wrote in message

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

Today I was given two bizarre prices for the 7D. These were based on a
photo store retailer and what he had been told by Minolta.

A kit: 7D + Flash (2500(D) + grip: CAD$2,500.00 (aprox US$1,960)

Body: CAD$1999 (approx: US$1565.00)

Seems high to me. I would bet on a price closer to US$1,200 once things
settle a little.

Cheers,
Alan

I wonder why Minolta went with a 6.1 sensor when the new offerings from
Canon/Nikon are going 12 mp. Is this digicam addressing the consumer

market
or pro's?

Consumer market, as are most 5-8 mp level dSLRs

Old September 27th 04, 11:50 PM
Patrick L.

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
news

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

I wonder why Minolta went with a 6.1 sensor when the new offerings

from
Canon/Nikon are going 12 mp. Is this digicam addressing the consumer

market
or pro's?

Many amateurs and a few pros. There are not that many pros who use

Minolta,
unfortunately. As this is their entry product into the DSLR (not

counting
the
RD-185) market, starting at 6 Mpx is a reasonable beginning (From what

I've seen
of Nikon D100 performance, it is nothing to sneeze at, and the Minolta

offering
is certainly a better camera than that ...)

Better how? AS doesn't make it better. The 7D has the same Sony sensor as
the D100 and Pentax *ist D. The specs might equal a D70, but not much
"better" it's certainly more expensive...

AS means that I can shoot in lower light without a tripod, and when you do a
lot of church weddings that don't allow flash, this is a good thing,
especially knowing that I would have to spend a fortune in IS lenses, were I
going down the Canon path, or Nikon equivalent. AS is better for the
bottom line.

patrick