I need help for 3d camera design

Old August 27th 04, 07:19 PM
Jason Priest

Default I need help for 3d camera design

I've not done any 3d cameras before, so I ask for some info about
something.

I'm wanting something that can use any normal digital camera that can
make it take dual pictures/video and then later been seen at a later
time in 3d, via blue/red glasses or whatever else.

Please look at http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/stereovidimg.jpg

The design uses mirrors to reflect two images into the single lense of
any camera. I assume these two images could be processed into the
red/blue stuff I see on these 3d websites.. Any comments, suggestions,
could the design actually work, perhaps even video?

Old August 27th 04, 09:04 PM
Alan Meyer

"Jason Priest" wrote in message
I've not done any 3d cameras before, so I ask for some info about
something.

I'm wanting something that can use any normal digital camera that can
make it take dual pictures/video and then later been seen at a later
time in 3d, via blue/red glasses or whatever else.

Please look at http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/stereovidimg.jpg

The design uses mirrors to reflect two images into the single lense of
any camera. I assume these two images could be processed into the
red/blue stuff I see on these 3d websites.. Any comments, suggestions,
could the design actually work, perhaps even video?

Jason,

Have you ever built a camera before? I would think
that what you've got here is less than 1% of the total problem,
which includes lenses, focus, exposure, imaging, processing,
storage, packaging, etc.

And of course "I assume these two images could be
processed into the red/blue stuff" conceals a multitude of
effort and difficulties.

Maybe you could take an existing camera and design
a front end contraption for it that converges images
from two separate lenses, passes them through the
red and blue filters and then feeds it to the camera.
That would simplify your work by 99%. But it would
still be very hard to get exact registration on the
two images.

Likewise you might be able to use an existing stereo
viewer, so you could then just concentrate on getting
your images from the camera onto the slides or whatever
are needed for the viewer.

An impossible project might then become possible -
though you what you'd wind up with wouldn't be a
pocketable device, it would still be pretty neat and
teach you a lot.

One thing to think about is taking two images, one
from the red filtered side, one from the blue. That
eliminates the separation problem and you might
really be in business.

Good luck.

Alan

Old August 27th 04, 11:06 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jason Priest" writes:

I've not done any 3d cameras before, so I ask for some info about
something.

I'm wanting something that can use any normal digital camera that can
make it take dual pictures/video and then later been seen at a later
time in 3d, via blue/red glasses or whatever else.

Google around the web for prior art. One solution is simply to mount
two cameras on a spacer. Another is to have just one camera, that you
can displace, so as to take the two photos reasonably close together
in time without the expense of a second camera. Obviously the more
precisely you want the two images to coincide in time, the more
necessary something like your idea becomes.

Please look at http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/stereovidimg.jpg

It looks to me like you're trying to reinvent the Tri-Delta Prism
stereo camera adapter. This is talked about in the very *first*
Google hit on digital stereo photography.

There are screen viewers, software suites, spacing adapters, optical
adapters like yours, and many other things already out there in the
market. Even if you want to make your own, for fun or to save money,
you should find out what's already been invented first. Build on the
ideas of others!

The design uses mirrors to reflect two images into the single lense of
any camera. I assume these two images could be processed into the
red/blue stuff I see on these 3d websites.. Any comments, suggestions,
could the design actually work, perhaps even video?

My optics isn't up to evaluating this. I *suspect* that you'll find
the mirrors have to be far bigger than is convenient to cover the
necessary angles. How much testing have you done with some kind of
simple mockup of this? If it works, my
already-admitted-to-be-ignorant theoretical objections are kinda moot
:-).

Given a stereo pair of images, whether in one file or in two, it's
pretty easy to turn them into a red/blue pair in Photoshop (or any
other product supporting layering). First, convert both images to
B&W. Then color one red and one blue. Then merge them transparently
(so neither color blocks the other) back into a color image.

Other viewing methods produce much better stereo and allow stereo
pictures in color, though.

Old August 28th 04, 06:29 AM
Jason Priest

Hey, I've had some success. I took my digital cam outside and took
two pictures several inch's apart from one another, the picture is of
an old bicycle looking at it from the front for the best view of
depth.

http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/3dpic1.jpg
*note: accessing this file directly shows a forbidden error, must goto
the root directory, then access it.

this image can be renamed to .jps and viewed in jpsviewer, currently i
have no 3d glasses.. but slightly crossing eyes brings out what I
believe to be a teriffic success.

What do yall recommend as far as viewing 3d images? Any opinions on
the red/blue paper glasses, shutter glasses, or any other popular ways
via computer monitor? This is very exciting, thanks for the

Old August 28th 04, 07:12 AM
Louise Bremner

Jason Priest wrote:

Hey, I've had some success. I took my digital cam outside and took
two pictures several inch's apart from one another, the picture is of
an old bicycle looking at it from the front for the best view of
depth.

http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/3dpic1.jpg
*note: accessing this file directly shows a forbidden error, must goto
the root directory, then access it.

this image can be renamed to .jps and viewed in jpsviewer, currently i
have no 3d glasses.. but slightly crossing eyes brings out what I
believe to be a teriffic success.

Not sure what you mean by "success", since it's a wall-eyed stereogram,
not a cross-eyed one. Crossing my eyes with that one gave me a headache.
But when I'd switched the images in PhotoShop, yes, I could see the 3D
effect by crossing my eyes. Nice separation there. (I've never managed
to get the hang of focusing my eyes _beyond_ the plane of the image, to
resolve a wall-eyed one.)

What do yall recommend as far as viewing 3d images?

I cross my eyes.

Any opinions on the red/blue paper glasses, shutter glasses, or any other
popular ways via computer monitor?

Those are all too fiddly.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Old August 28th 04, 09:12 AM
Michael Schnell

Of course this can be done.

But it would be _much_ easier to use two digital cameras and combine the
pictures electronically.

-Michael

Old August 28th 04, 09:18 AM
Michael Schnell

http://sky.prohosting.com/2calvary/3dpic1.jpg

Great !

I am easily able to view the picture nicely as 3D when displaying it on the
screen in the appropriate size.

-Michael