Framing and Mounting Supplies

Old February 25th 04, 01:49 PM
?

Default Framing and Mounting Supplies

I spent a couple hours looking at sites for framing and mounting supplies.
www.framingsupplies.com seems to be the most comprehensive and the prices
seem reasonable. You buy your frame sticks cut to length and they are
already mitered. Mat prices seem reasonable also.

Is there a "better" source that I have overlooked?

Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Ebay Sales:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...ems&userid=dsc
Restorations, Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen
Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

Old February 25th 04, 03:22 PM
Bruce

I haven't looked around recently but my tried and true source is American Frame
in Maumee Ohio.

http://www.americanframe.com/
_________________
Ready, Fire, AIM.
Bruce
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Old February 25th 04, 03:37 PM
Mark A

"Bruce" wrote in message
I haven't looked around recently but my tried and true source is American

Frame
in Maumee Ohio.

http://www.americanframe.com/
_________________
Ready, Fire, AIM.
Bruce
Brooklyn, N.Y.

I have purchased Nielsen metal frames (no mats) from
http://www.framesbymail.com and would recommend them.

Old February 25th 04, 11:22 PM
geo

Google wood frames. You can get gorgeous frames incredibly cheaply from
overseas. Eg. http://www.sfl-frame.com.tw/sfl.htm

Old March 1st 04, 02:54 PM
Rich Shepard

On 2004-02-25, ? ?@???.??? wrote:

I spent a couple hours looking at sites for framing and mounting supplies.
www.framingsupplies.com seems to be the most comprehensive and the prices
seem reasonable. You buy your frame sticks cut to length and they are
already mitered. Mat prices seem reasonable also.

Is there a "better" source that I have overlooked?

Better? That's too subjective. I buy my frames from Frames USA (on the
Web). By purchasing at least $100 per order I get the best prices and I'm
very satisfied with their products. Their frames have spring clips that hold
the contents and are hung by those same clips -- not by a wire across the
sides. But, it works for me.

Mounting and window mats I purchase locally at an art supply store. When I
want 6- or 8-ply board I order it from Light Impressions.

Rich
Old March 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

On 2004-02-25, the well known Mr. ? ?@???.??? wrote:
www.framingsupplies.com Is there a "better" source that
I have overlooked?

There is http://www.documounts.com/

... frames with spring clips that hold the contents ...

I have found spring clips distort the mounting boards given
time and humidity.

The mechanism appears to be:

o The clips squeeze and pin the boards between the frame and the glass
at a few spots along the edge of the mat. At these locations the
mat can not move.

o Changes in moisture and temperature cause the mat to expand
and shrink.

o Since the mat can not slide under the clips when it swells, it buckles
between the clips.

Once buckled there seems to be no cure.

Oh, and the clips put down streaks of rust on the back of the boards.

--
Clipless in Cleveland: Nicholas O. Lindan
Old March 1st 04, 07:54 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:10:25 GMT, "Nicholas O.

On 2004-02-25, the well known Mr. ? ?@???.??? wrote:
www.framingsupplies.com Is there a "better" source that
I have overlooked?

There is http://www.documounts.com/

... frames with spring clips that hold the contents ...

I have found spring clips distort the mounting boards given
time and humidity.

The mechanism appears to be:

o The clips squeeze and pin the boards between the frame and the glass
at a few spots along the edge of the mat. At these locations the
mat can not move.

o Changes in moisture and temperature cause the mat to expand
and shrink.

o Since the mat can not slide under the clips when it swells, it buckles
between the clips.

Once buckled there seems to be no cure.

Oh, and the clips put down streaks of rust on the back of the boards.

mar104 from Lloyd Erlick,

I've had exactly the same experience. ("Since the
mat can not slide under the clips when it swells,
it buckles between the clips.")

And, indeed, "Once buckled there seems to be no
cure." Sadly, this included getting the commercial
framer to acknowledge that buckling existed and
was patterned according to the clips on the back.

Mine had the rust, too.

(My erstwhile framer suggested that I had stored
the frames improperly. Rusting clips suggested
long exposure to clammy, wet, dank dungeons. But I
had done no such thing, and they rusted because
anyone can look at them and see they are a very
cheap grade of steel. Frames from the same framer,
done years before, were unbuckled. They had no
clips. And they were stored in the same type of
environment (above grade in homes with people
living in them.) But you cannot change the opinion
of a framer. They are a separate species adapted
to feeding off the anxiety and rage of
photographers. They should be treated like
mosquitos.)
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,
2219 Gerrard Street East, unit #1,
Toronto M4E 2C8 Canada.
---
voice 416-686-0326
lloyd AT the-wire DOT com
http://www.heylloyd.com
________________________________
Old March 1st 04, 10:53 PM

When I frame something, I use mat board that is scrap and I cut it to the
right width and keep sliding it in until the whole thing is tight. No rust
no warping.

lee\c

Old March 2nd 04, 01:12 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:53:57 -0600,
wrote:

When I frame something, I use mat board that is scrap and I cut it to the
right width and keep sliding it in until the whole thing is tight. No rust
no warping.

lee\c

mar204 from Lloyd Erlick,

Yes, this is what I've begun to look for when I go
to a framer's shop.

regards,
--le
Old March 2nd 04, 01:42 PM
JCPERE

: "Nicholas O. Lindan"

"Rich Shepard" wrote:
On 2004-02-25, the well known Mr. ? ?@???.??? wrote:
[...]

Do you use a backing board? I'm guessing that the same problem would occur
with or without a backing board. Maybe I better start checking my frames.
Chuck