Calumet 4x5 question

Old June 16th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Calumet 4x5 question

hi,

i own an older Calumet CC 401 4x5 camera and was wondering if there was any
way (conventional, or otherwise) to modify this camera to take a 5x7 back? i
don't know if they made a 5x7 in that family, or if any other maker's back
would be able to work. i'm assuming too that the bellows would need to be
changed???

thanks....

Old June 16th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

joe mama wrote:
hi,

i own an older Calumet CC 401 4x5 camera and was wondering if there was any
way (conventional, or otherwise) to modify this camera to take a 5x7 back? i
don't know if they made a 5x7 in that family, or if any other maker's back
would be able to work. i'm assuming too that the bellows would need to be
changed???

My GUESS is that the bellows would be OK, since the existing back is
revolving and therefore the back has to be large enough for that.

However, the back is a fairly complex die-casting and you would probably
have to remove the whole thing, not just the part with the ground glass, and
replace it with something larger. Almost certainly not worth the trouble.

With everything going to 7734 these days, are you sure you will be able to
get enough 5x7 film to make it worthwhile? If 4x5 contact prints are not
large enough for you, why not go to 8x10? And if you do make enlargements, I
imagine 4x5 enlargers are more common and cheaper than the larger sizes
(although I have never actually priced any).

In addition to the CC-400 series, they also made a C-1 that was 8x10".

^^-^^ 21:45:01 up 66 days, 11:16, 4 users, load average: 4.33, 4.14, 4.04
Old June 16th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

With everything going to 7734 these days, are you sure you will be able to
get enough 5x7 film to make it worthwhile? If 4x5 contact prints are not
large enough for you, why not go to 8x10? And if you do make enlargements,
imagine 4x5 enlargers are more common and cheaper than the larger sizes
(although I have never actually priced any).

In addition to the CC-400 series, they also made a C-1 that was 8x10".

true all, but i like the 5x7 format. i guess i should make sure of the 5x7
viability factor before buying. i'd love to do 5x7 contact prints, but maybe
will have to suffice with 4x5.

Old June 16th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

joe mama wrote:
hi,

i own an older Calumet CC 401 4x5 camera and was wondering if
there was any way (conventional, or otherwise) to modify this
camera to take a 5x7 back? i don't know if they made a 5x7 in that
family, or if any other maker's back would be able to work. i'm
assuming too that the bellows would need to be changed???

My GUESS is that the bellows would be OK, since the existing back
is revolving and therefore the back has to be large enough for that.

However, the back is a fairly complex die-casting and you would
probably have to remove the whole thing, not just the part with the
ground glass, and replace it with something larger. Almost certainly
not worth the trouble.

With everything going to 7734 these days, are you sure you will be
able to get enough 5x7 film to make it worthwhile?

Having just researched this a little myself, there does seem to be quite a
lot of 5x7 still about, and it is well supported by the niche B&W producers
like Bergger and Forte. In colour the future looks a little less clear, but
there's still quite a number of choice. Fuji seems to be supporting 13x18
(cm) quite well, which will fit a 5x7 camera back, albeit you need a
different film holder. I've just put 5 boxes of 13x18 Provia in my freezer,
where it joins some half plate(!) Velvia that also can be used in a 5x7
camera.

If 4x5 contact prints are not large enough for you, why not go to
8x10? And if you do make enlargements, I imagine 4x5 enlargers are
more common and cheaper than the larger sizes (although I have
never actually priced any).

5x7 enlargers are harder to find, but seem not to command a huge premium
over 4x5s. 10x8 enlargers, of course, are massive, and expensive.

I like the 5x7 proportions and the GG is a nice size to compose on. In
slides it is nice to have something that makes 4x5 look small, but is not as
challenging to use in the field as an 8x10. Good for 6x17 too, of course,
either with a rollfilm back or a split dark-slide (the 617 RFBs made for
5x7s seem only to fit those with a pseudo-Graflok / International back
fitting, which many 5x7 backs, mine included, don't have).

Peter

Old June 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I would just look for a suitable 5x7 monorail, I have a B&J Saturn monorail
with Goerz Dagor that I picked up for $200.00. I am planning to use it both
for 5x7 and build a 4x5 reduction back so I am only invested in one LF
camera. In appearance it is similar to the Calumet but with no revolving
back and is made with both metal and wood parts, it is much simpler in
detail and almost infinitely repairable by any one with basic wood working
skills.
Mike

Old June 20th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Mike" wrote in message
I would just look for a suitable 5x7 monorail, I have a B&J Saturn

monorail
with Goerz Dagor that I picked up for $200.00. I am planning to use it

both
for 5x7 and build a 4x5 reduction back so I am only invested in one LF
camera. In appearance it is similar to the Calumet but with no revolving
back and is made with both metal and wood parts, it is much simpler in
detail and almost infinitely repairable by any one with basic wood working
skills.
Mike

There's an Arca Swiss listed on that auction site at the moment for £299 -
the seller has described it as a 4x5, but it's actually a 5x7 with a
reducing back on it. That could be used as a start point for a different
approach, and there's a guy in Oz with a 5x7 A-S back on BiN. These sort of
things do come up from time to time, and this sort of mis-description is not
that unusual...

Peter