Tachahara clean-up

Old January 11th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Tachahara clean-up

I just took my view camera out of storage where it's been kept for about
20 years. It's a wooden folding camera and it's been stored in a canvas
backpack. The backpack seems to have had some kind of rubberizing or
softening agent incorporated into the canvass that has eaten into the
camera's varnish and left a sticky coating on the metal. What should I use
to clean it?
-Lew

Old January 11th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Start with Goo-gone?

Old January 11th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Lew spake thus:

I just took my view camera out of storage where it's been kept for about
20 years. It's a wooden folding camera and it's been stored in a canvas
backpack. The backpack seems to have had some kind of rubberizing or
softening agent incorporated into the canvass that has eaten into the
camera's varnish and left a sticky coating on the metal. What should I use
to clean it?

Since the varnish may require refinishing, I won't comment on that. (If
the varnish has actually been damaged down to the wood, it'll need to be
removed and replaced.)

The metal can be cleaned with a number of solvents, assuming it's not
lacquered (or even if it is--see note). I'd proceed in the following order:

1. Start with mild soap. Anything will do: dish soap, Simple Green or
equivalent. (Obviously, try to get it just on the metal and not on the
bellows.)

2. Alcohol (denatured, ispropyl or even rubbing alcohol).

3. Paint thinner, naphtha (Ronsonol or charcoal lighter fluid).

4. Acetone or lacquer thinner (but *don't use* if the metal is covered
with lacquer).

I've found very few stains, apart from actual corrosion (and sometimes
even that) that won't respond to one or more of these substances.

And try to avoid using any kind of abrasive (steel wool, even dish
scrubbers).

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.